The Books!? Which?

Bacoben

Aug 29, 2011
Scotland - West Coast
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend one or two books on identifying edible plants.

Ideally I would like a larger book I could study at home and perhaps a small field guide with picture references that I could take with me in my pocket or rucksack.

Any help is appreciated!

Chaz.

ipso-phyto

Sep 20, 2011
wessex
www.ipsophyto.com
if you google 'botany in a day' you will find a book by an american author who has highlighted the idea of family pattern identification characteristics.
I like his work because the keywords and characteristics of the main famillies can help us identify when out foraging. Moreover , as we already know certain families are safe to eat, ie the mustard / cabbage family, then when we come accross one, and positively i/d it as a mustard, then we know we can eat it without knowing excatly what plant it is. The same methodology can be used with the mint family.

Furthermore, certain chemicals can be predominant and typical of a plant family and help us to understand potential medicinal benefits. For example the large mainly aromatic mint family, displays various arrays of volatile substances known as monoterpenes. Becasue we know they are antiseptic, we know that one of any of them will display this activity to a lesser or greater degree and can employ them medicinally again without specifically knowing the individual species. An example here is thyme. There are three wild species in Britain as well as the cultvated Thymus vulgaris. They all will contain the monoterpene molecule thymol, though with differing concentrations. Knowing the medicinal effects of thymol as antiseptic and expectorant, it will be safe to utilise any of them in this way.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend one or two books on identifying edible plants.

Ideally I would like a larger book I could study at home and perhaps a small field guide with picture references that I could take with me in my pocket or rucksack.

Any help is appreciated!

Chaz.

The best book is The Forager Handbook by Miles Irving. The pictures are rubbish (black and white) but it is stuffed full with far more in the way of useful information than any other book on edible plants of the UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE