the blade

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
im gonna try and make a knife, i see there alot of differet types of blades i can use on the attleborough website, most of them which are stainless steel, i was told that carbon steel was a better blade to work with tho. im a little confused, has anyone got any good recomendation on what type of blade i should bye and what it look like.
many thanx monkey

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I recently decided to do the same so I bought some ground flat stock from Cromwell Tools and some Thuya Burr for the handle, which turned up today. I'm working on the blade at the moment and hope to have the bevels ground before the weekend is out.

I'd thought about buying a blade and sticking a handle on, but I really wanted the knife to be my own. So far it's working out well and I'm really enjoying the process.

Have you thought about working from scratch?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There is no "right" steel; it depends on what you want.

A stainless of some kind (there are lots) will not usually rust (some will) but will not normally hold such a good edge - it will blunt more quickly. If you go sea fishing or camp in coastal area I would recomend stainless (others will jump in here I am sure :) )

For a really good honed and stropped edge that you could shave with I prefer a reasonable carbon steel. It will hold a better edge but, if not treated properly, will rust and will be more brittle so the blade can snap and the edge can chip. A good knife will have a degree of flexibility in the body and a hard edge. This is achieved by choosing the right steel and applying the right heat treatment (tempering and quenching).

having said all that, I do not make as many knives as others on this forum and I am sure one of the pro's will turn up soon to give you advice (and probably correct me!!)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Making full size models of the blades in card or wood can give you a feel for whether you like the look of the blade, the handle size/shape etc.

For price you really can't beat Lauri or Polar blades - I've uses many of these and particularly like the forged finish carbon steel blades.

Great price and very good quality blades with nice long tangs so you can choose whether to go for a hidden tang, rivetted tang or 1/2 tang.

Highly recommended. Brisa have a good selection.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depends on the style of blade that you want, how much you are willing to spend, how much input into the design you want, steel type and blade finish.

You can get some variations and choices from Attleboroughs, brisa, etc. Or you could have a go from scratch. Or you could get somebody to make one to your spec. Or you could go on a course

;) So many ways to skin a knife

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The choice is yours as has been said and it comes down to:

What tools you have/can borrow or are willing to buy.

What skills you have or wish to learn

You can go on aknifemaking course (see Dave)

You can make the blade and send it offf for proffessional HT

The list goes on but the main factors are money/resourcefullnes and skill

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
For price you really can't beat Lauri or Polar blades - I've uses many of these and particularly like the forged finish carbon steel blades.

Great price and very good quality blades with nice long tangs so you can choose whether to go for a hidden tang, rivetted tang or 1/2 tang.

Highly recommended. Brisa have a good selection.

I would second that a polar 95 is one of my favourites, cheap but fantastic all round user.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
cool i had a look at the pola it looks very good for the price, but there seems to be more to chose from with the lauri, im gonna stick with the carbon steel, thanx every one for your help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE