The best way to care for a Carbon Steel knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2016
Spain
:confused:

Hi guys,

So today I received a Mora Companion HD knife, Carbon Steel.

I want to know what oils I can use for keeping it from rusting.

Any brands that are better than others?

Any oil around my house I could use? Olive oil?

I guess it is best to apply oil every time after using? Or does it depend how I have used it and what I have used it on?

I algo got a Mora 120 BK Wood Carving Knife, I don't know if it is SS or CS. Any ideas how to find out?

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I hope there is no problem in asking again! :)

Thanks in advance!!

NestInTheWoods

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
I use a bit of Camellia Oil from time to time on mine, does the trick.
If it has got wet while out and about, I leave it to dry out of the sheath and oil it before storing it away.

Stainless vs carbon - can you do it with a magnet? I think carbon is magnetic, while most stainless is not.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Never oiled a knife in my life unless I was going to store it away for an extended period.

The best way to care for a knife (or axe, or hammer, or any other steel tool) is to use it often and dry it off when it gets wet.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Never oiled a knife in my life unless I was going to store it away for an extended period.

The best way to care for a knife (or axe, or hammer, or any other steel tool) is to use it often and dry it off when it gets wet.

Same here- but I do force a patina on my carbon blades by wrapping the blade in tissue soaked in vinegar and leaving it overnight. The patina helps stave off any corrosion ...

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Renaissance wax works but leaves wax on the blade, which may be an issue if you are preparing food, it's not beeswax so maybe not edible, olive oil works fine.

Otherwise a forced patina will do the job, just stick it in a jar of pickles overnight, in the morning you will have a nice patina.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Wipe with a cloth with a bit of 3 in 1 oil, it'll develop a patina eventually that'll help prevent rust.

Tonyuk

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
It sounds funny, but I've always found the best way to keep a carbon blade in good condition is to use it often and don't put it back in the sheath wet.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Make a tight sheath with a shorn sheepskin liner and then lanolinise that heavily ( easiest way is to mix the pure lanolin with something like isopropyl alchahol and use a thin tube like a dipper with your finger over the end until you want to release the liquid. The alc evaporates away pretty quickly and the blade gets a thin coat every time you push it in. It was the way to do it for many hundred of years and has worked pretty d@mn well on the blades I've done it with.

Mind, the blades I've not that I've just wiped dry haven't really rusted/ tarnished either except kitchen ones that I use on onions and garlic. Not affected their use any, no pitting or such.

ATB

Tom

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes, but draining and drying are worlds apart.

Of course. The hole makes sure the scabbard is not full of water after rain or a swim. wiping on trousers dries the blade.

A discreet layer of oxide gives a Mora blade some personality. That and the scratches it gets when you sharpen it on an available hard object like a stone.

We tend to treat Mora knives like semi disposable just as the manufacturer intended....

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Some of my knives have a natural patina from use, this protects the knife from rust. I do have knives Ive forced a patina on, it too protects the knife.

Mostly as stated above unless going into long term storage I dont bother with oiling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE