the best motivation?

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
been pretty bummed out lately until yesterday i managed to get some fresh air for a while with a mate and on top of it he gave me all this for free (except the knife which was for scale)

imag0901.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-05-03
imag0904n.jpg

By wanderingpict at 2012-05-03

5 heavy duty straps and some brass buckles for a commission im doing for him. and 6 full reindeer hides :) now i just need to think of things to make! ideas?

so far im going to make some stuff sacks for each half of my polish lavvu. a pouch for my honey stove. possibly a belt pouch. maybe a pouch for trekking journal. so thats maybe 2 hides....

needless to say i have some motivation now as these hides are just beautiful and gnarly. just need to think of more uses . its thin stuff between 1 and 2 mills but some seems a bit stiff so may soften some up with neatsfoot oil and see how that works out

Hamish

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
lucker b*gger!

Do a tear test on the reindeer hide. I have some thin stuff that tears like paper so you have to be extra careful with it. You could make an ace pair of moccasins with it.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
looks like you have enough there for a cape, eye mask, gauntlets and accessorie belt with pouches!

reindeer man maybe? ;)

Dreadhead

think a darts case is outta my legue for now.
southey why did you send me that link?!?!?!? thats my day and my pay gone... i see they sell kero boots. tried getting my hands on a pair ages ago but the acual company were a bloody nightmare! and i already have a reindeer skin rucksack. but they have nice kuksas on there...hmmm

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'd be making a few bush/Aussie hats out of the firmer hides, I'll also have a go at making a trapper type hat & some mittens.......all that leather certainly gets my heart pacing :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That is some mate you have there.

Have you ever had a go at making vellum? I know its the wrong hide but just a thought.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Man, you are one lucky..........

I wish I had a hide like that. Been meaning to redo my lammycoat high mocassins in real leather...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE