The best kit from each army in your opinion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The Brithish army knife - is that the one with the pick on the opposite side from the blade? I remember my grandfather had one of those, the blade was about half its original width due to 40-odd years of sharpening and still servicable :)

I'd love to get one of those...

Dammit, I saw one of those at a car boot last week

The guys a regular, Ill keep an eye out

Mine's like this one:

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...s/genuine-1950-s-dated-army-knife-400652.html

It was originally my sister's (she was a Guide) but I collared it in about 1965 when I did the DoE. First time I used it to open a tin can I also opened up my right index finger for about two inches. :( Carried on camping anyway. :)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Austrian Army Wooly Pully (twice as warm as the brit one)
Dutch 44 Pattern slimline bottle and stainless mug (cheaper and as good as the brit one but does not feel as bulky)
Artkis Stowaway Shirt (windproof, shower resistant and packs to smaller than my fist) - pair this with a fleece and you have got someone every bit as good as your snugpak, buffalo and montane pile and pertex shirts - less pockets but more flexible.
German Para Boots (Mk7) (not as supportive as modern hiking walking boots in terms of sole rigitity - but for under £30 for supergrade ones they are a quality bargain)
US ACUs (same reason as people love the BDUs)
Brit army wool snood (simple, non-itchy, cheap)
Genuine US issue wool watch hat (better weave, tighter weave, 'longer', cheap)
Genuine Norgie tops

NVA (=army of what's incorrectly called "east germany")- amazing how much brandnew stuff you can get after more then 20 years since they were disbanded; even in places like australia and new zealand... :
compass- more reliable then any other compass i used (and that includes a recta dp ) sadly it works only on the northern hemisphere...
three-finger gloves
canteen(never leaks unlike those cheap nato-style bottles; but i discarded the aluminium cup)
folding entrenching tool- much more solid then this new fangled three-folding toys... .
grenade pouch
etc.

british army: have'nt tried much of their stuff but i like the canteen pouch (an older olive green version in excellent condition) i got last year for 5NZ$ in christchurch

australian army: i love that stainless steel mug!

current german army :boots(the model they used 10years ago) and tricotshirt (mine is over 10years old and still in use)

Last edited by a moderator:

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
My favourite bits of military kit are:

Germany - Boots, Entrenching Tool (sturdy wooden handle and a pick), Daysack, KFS.
Sweden - Trangia stove (I keep it in my car, very handy for an impromtu brew), clipper knife, Parka
Netherlands - Headover/Snood (combined with the Swedish parka and I'm toastie although I do look like I've just been sent to the Russian front).
Denmark - Combat trousers with the pleated knee. These are so comfortable.
UK - The two Norgies, the sweater and the food container. Longback Infantry Bergen (bought surplus for £15, battered as hell but solid as a rock), Coolmax T-shirts (self-wicking, you'll honk but you'll be dry), wool blankets and the socks.
Austria - Sleeping bag (sold as a "sniper" bag, it has arm holes and can be unzipped from the bottom).

I buy quite a bit of military kit. There may be much better civvie kit available but for the price I get more bang for my buck with army surplus.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
my favourite bits

British - Norwegian food container, genuine norgie tops, mod plod combats

Dutch - Helly Hansen fleece, excellent and warm

Danish - M84 jacket, 100% wool blanket - massive and thick and warm

Old West Germany - Old Skool entrenching tool - really bombproof and unbreakable, MVP bag mittens - stopped my fingers falling off when it was -25c in Finland

Swedish - M90 thermal trousers, and the snow smock

Canadian - 1980's Kaufmann Mukluks with a double frieze liner - absolutely excellent, my feet actually felt comfy and warm in the aforementioned -25c

Italian - 100% wool thermal tops, look ****e and are cut funny but very warm

Austrian - Wool jumper, really warm and non-itchy and surprisingly hard wearing

think thats it, there are a few other things like the swedish trangia and swedish leather and canvas backpack, they are ok but not my most tried and trusted things so havent included them.

All the above i have used in many conditions and situations and i have found them to be hardwearing, comfortable and generally good - these are the things i reach for if im going out

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Proper, genuine UK Arctic Windproof. None of the copies or 'adaptations' - gotta be the real thing. Envious glances from all my NATO colleagues.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
US=ALICE Packs & Frames (tough, roomy & light), Arctic parka and bib pants (the old stuff designed for SAC crews on the D.E.W. line), Marine Corps KBar
Canadian=IMPS, Arctic Sleeping bag system (it's hard to beat a 5 piece hooded & down filled bag on a cold camp)
UK=ESBIT stove!
Aussie=Gotta love the hat

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Norway , Goretex waterproofs in Norg cam made by Bergens or Hally Hanson , Jerven bags and real turmat rations yummy .
Sweden , Optimus 111 stove any of them
UK , Old skool windproofs in DPM with the crossover belt strides in gabadine plus the smock , ye-oldy junglies in the bright dpm ,,tasty ,,,
US , Poncho liner ,,,so usefull very under rated bit of kit .
Germany , Lowas or Meindls megga comfy boots

Happy day
Twodogs

Last edited:

Raw01

Mar 30, 2010
Jhb South Africa
South Africa - Pathfinder Back Pack, Jump Smock (Slangvel).
Danish - M84 Jacket.
US - MARPAT Assault Pack, Marine MARPAT and ECWS Goretex, Military Sleep Sytem, Medium ALICE pack and frame.
Swedish - M90 Parker.
UK - Bivy Bag, NI Patrol Pack.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Swedish M39 'mackinaw cruiser'

With cotton liner removed, and hand dyed olive green. New Buttons. 6 pockets £15. 100% Wool. Absolute bargain.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P1000782.jpg
    P1000782.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 334
  • P1000780.jpg
    P1000780.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 338
  • P1000779.jpg
    P1000779.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

Brynglas

I used to loathe those cap comforters! On the basis that all military kit is generally made by the lowest bidder and I know that the current issue equipment and uniforms are a completely different ball game to the stuff I was issued in the 80's and early 90's. I still have and use some key bits of kit but when I've gone to have a look at it I've noticed that it's all stuff I obtained to supplement be issued gear. My Buffalo sleeping bag is still going strong and saw me through four Norway winters and has since been to the Arctic circle with me several times. My Alico ski boots were issued and are still in reasonable nick, I've since upgraded to better Nordic ski boots. My Cyclops Roc bergen was a gucci bit of kit when I obtained it and following a few repairs earlier this year it's still a cracking bergen.

When I compare the bag and the bergen to the issued Arctic bag and bergen of the time the issued stuff wasn't anywhere near as good.

I think that the benefit of military surplus gear is its low cost and durability. Civilian manufacturers generally do a far better job of manufacturing equipment and clothing, their quality control is better but the cost is higher.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE