The best kit from each army in your opinion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
CLEM said:
Ive a pair of Norwegian army boots,very comfy they are too!

I also use the Norwegian army boots, but that`s because I find them good enough for my use, and I get them for free :) .
I also use the norwegian army rucksacks, both the old combat sack (stridssekk) and the larger one. They are built to last a lifetime, but are not the most comfortable ones to carry (better than the Alice pack though, I`ve ditched that crappy pack).

Tor

M

mikehill

Only army kit I really like is the SAS sleeping bag. Only good for around/below freezing though, otherwise I find it too hot :)
Mike.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Tor helge said:
I`ve only been in the Norwegian army and I have only one thing to say about military equipment; the reason I ever use it is that it is cheap, not that it is so good. One can get civil equipment that s much better.
I recon this is the case with military equipment all over the world.
The military equipment from 40-50`s are another issue. That was really good equipment, ment to last more than a week of Blitz-krieg.

Tor

Second your opinion!

But nothing much beats the reputation of the Norrøna recon pack(old model) for carrying heavy and the nato version of the sami knife with fingerguard.
But this is not the average soldier kit. It is made by civillian manufacters for military special forces and are in another league...

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Shepard said:
Second your opinion!

But nothing much beats the reputation of the Norrøna recon pack(old model) for carrying heavy and the nato version of the sami knife with fingerguard.
But this is not the average soldier kit. It is made by civillian manufacters for military special forces and are in another league...

I also have the Norrøna Recon pack (old civilian model, no camo). It is a very good pack, but I use it very little. It`s mostly for long trips into the wild, a week or more. In other words I find it a little too big. Didn`t think so when I bought it though :rolleyes: . I had a bad habit dragging my whole house with me when I was out in the woods,and I just needed a fraction of it :( . I guess I`ve learnt a lesson.

Tor

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Some great input here and getting a good insight into what kit is worth getting for replacements etc. I forgot to mention the Nanok SF endurance range of sleeping bags of which i have the -10. Unfortunately i can only comment on kit that iv'e used which is very limited.
Interesting that the only mention of French kit is food :D .
Also i think the reason that i'm attracted to issue kit is that it is often cheaper than civi kit in surplus state but more importantly it is tried and tested. It's a shame though that not all army kit is made with the soldiers comfort in mind but to just perform a task, but that's where threads like this are usefull. To get a civilian perspective of it and what it's like to use in a mostly stress free enviroment.

Keep it comming :)

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Bilko, off the top of my head:

British army Bivi bag, the green one seems better than the DPM one.
British water bottle and metal mug, almost indestructable.
Australian Hootchi (British one is not bad but rustles in the wind).
British wooley pulley or the Norwegian army jumper with a high collar and thumb loops.
US jungle boots.

I'll have a think and get back to you if I remember anything else, I'm not too keen on DPM kit when I'm not at work which rules out a lot of the newer kit for me. :D

Brian

M

Millbilly

All of the above mentioned kit is pretty good, i use a lot of it myself. Im also a fan of the US Army poncho liner, its like a light weight blanket.

rjbaal

Feb 3, 2005
Northeast USA
1980's era US Army and Marines Utility trousers. The ones that were Nyco twill. Very durable and excellent for temperate climates.

I was in the US Marines in the early 1980's before the Regan era budget increases kicked in. I hate to say it but a lot the the personal gear was just terrible. In 1980 I remember eating C-rations (before MRE's) dated 1968.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
rjbaal said:
I hate to say it but a lot the the personal gear was just terrible. In 1980 I remember eating C-rations (before MRE's) dated 1968.

to those who want one www.raeer.de/cgi-bin//katalog/f5c0d0b9d8e450fb probably it´s not for eating. I guess it´s an unknown weapon: you have to throw it at the enemy

bilko - of course the French do have a lot of nice gear (Rafale, Leclerc, Famas, personal gear from the Republican Guard like helmets or the handmade saddle etc.) a but I doubt they´ll sell it

In general I´ve got the opinion that designers of personal gear very seldom use the stuff they invent under real conditions

ggfh666

Forager
Jan 16, 2006
belgium
users.pandora.be
The standard ABL army boots must be the best value for money. I've seen many others but few can compete.
The ABL Tshirts issued until the 90s and maybe even today. I got mine in 92 and still they are in reasonable shape.

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Been eyeballing the Nanok SF reversible cold weather suit(aka"fat suit").
Looks like a steal for 50£ but the postage was 40£!1
Maybe it`ll be in my christmas stocking :swordfigh

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I like my GB mess tins (very ergonomic though unasaethetic shape) and army boots. They are light as a feather.

Has anyone ever done a serious kit comparison survey? We all have thing we like but few of us have ever had a chance to compare across the board.

And what about stuff from Switzerland and Japan which you never see? Reputedly both these forces are very well equipped.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Of course Switzerland is well equipped. They're the only country in the world who's army has a corkscrew on their knives.

"Most of you men have never opened a Chardonnay under fire. You insert the corkscrew here, pull, and throw." <--- Robin Williams Live on Broadway.

Adam

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
We are spoilt for choice with Sweden!

They get the Tröja 90, an Ullfrotte 400g top.
The old canvas wind blouse is lovely and retro!
and then there's the M90 Parka...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE