The best kit from each army in your opinion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
How about the orginal British army knife. Their bombproof. If I could only take a folding knife and no fixed blade I would take this one. Mine is from 1957 and has been dropped out of a window, dropped in a fire, driven over etc...

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
addyb said:
Of course Switzerland is well equipped. They're the only country in the world who's army has a corkscrew on their knives.

no, not true.
The Krauts do have a cork screw on their knifes too. Btw, it´s bigger than the tiny Swiss knife and pretty cheap at 8,- Euros www.raeer.com/cgi-bin/katalog/151ad104e830545c

Who transports beverages in glas today? From the logistics point of view that´s plain stupid: half of the weight is packing material ...

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I like US Alice Mag pouches, but seem to spend a lot of time removing the grenade bits on the side. British 58 webbing is almost bomb proof. I have a weird Alice/58 cross setup. The main problem I have with Military stuff is solidiers mod it so for civilian use, you have to spend time, adjusting it to what you want, or mix and match from different armies.

I tend to pick and chose from what people say is worth having a look at or from Militaries who operate in a particular terrain.

I like Military stuff, mainly because it is built to survive and last, but I have to agree that in a lot of cases it is better to go civilian.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Danceswithhelicopters said:
The Crusader Cup/'58 Water bottle/'85 Mug in a PLCE pouch combo is the berries.
The Crusader Greenheat cooker IMHO is crap though.

The cooker is fine, it's the greenheat that's crap. :)

East Scout

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Alaska
www.hostingphpbb.com
Im pretty fond of BlackHawk Tactical gear for my Load Bearing kit uses.......Its pricey but you'll get what you pay for and the lifetime garuntee speaks for itself.......Im so fond of BHI kit that that is all I use now...Sold off all my PLCE kit.

For clothing I use either US or UK DPM..Either will do in most situation where I dwell...Footwear w/o a doubt is my Austrian Army Mountain boots..I have been wearing them since I got my first set back in 2000 and I havnt found another type of boot that suits multi seasonal use as of yet, that I like.......

Cold weather under clothes will be US issue Polypro..Great stuff..From the Balaclava to the trousers..Warm stuff..Try a set.

Cold weather outter shell is either ripstop DPM Smock or US gortex..DPM Smock usually gets used.

Blazing hot East Coast/Mid Atlantic summers its usually summer wieght DPM BDUs..Gets colder I graduate to US BDUs siner i only have one set of Temperate DPM trousers......

Various head gear..Usuaully a knit skull cap or bandana.....Depending on the season and sevearity of the weather..

Shelter is Usually a Sturm of Germany 2 man trail tent or a simple poncho shelter and bunjee cords.......

ES

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
In my opinion the 3 greatest bits of kit that have ever been invented are:

British army 'norweigen' pullovers

British army entrenching tool

Sealskinz goretex socks (yes I did try them out in the shower first) theyre pricey but well worth it.

H

Heathenpeddler

The Brithish army knife - is that the one with the pick on the opposite side from the blade? I remember my grandfather had one of those, the blade was about half its original width due to 40-odd years of sharpening and still servicable :)

I'd love to get one of those...

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
My favourites items of kit are in the original form,they have inspired copys,some of the copys are better,but these items got the ball rolling:

The SAS Windproof smock: great item,hooded,lightweight,big pockets.

The US Army water bottle:,mug,and burner,great idea,all in a pouch with a small pocket for the water puri. tablets.

German Army Boots;what ever version they sem to be well made and much better quality,the current Mountain Boots are from Lowa.

The Aussie shelter/basha:now modified in many versions.

The Swiss Army Knife:(do they get issued with these!??)

The British army pocket survival kit: not really an issue item ,more of a concept.Something the individual has to put together himself. I have never come across another army that carrys anything like this.

The Swedish Army Fjelldukken(hope the spelling is right!):a sort of poncho,sleeping/bivi bag,can be zipped with others together:a impressive bit of kit,no bigger than a poncho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE