The BEST AA torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
A little OT but what's an orange peel reflector for?

You get a more smooth and even beam. But a little less throw.

Less rings and holes in the beam.

At Deal Extreme you get three Akoray K-106 Q5, six 14500 rechargable 3.7 volt lithium batteries, and a charger, for about the same price as a single Fenix LD20, without rechargable batteries.

The Akoray K-106 is a single AA-torch, programmable in three modes. It can use regular AA-batteries as well, but it's a whole lot brighter with rechargable 3.7 volt 14500 batteries. Max brightness is about the same for both torches. (I just compared side by side... ;) )

And the Fenix is made in China as well...

giz

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2007
devon
ive got a old aa maglight in black had it years ohten thought about the led kit for it but never got round to it it just keeps going only ever changed one bulb in it
if it was me going out to buy an other torch now at the maglight stand is where i would be
they work dont cost the earth and plenty of parts around for them at most outlets
less than £20 for a AA aint bad

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ultrafire C3 CREE Q5 (230 lumen.)
i've the big brother of that, it takes 3XAAA, 260 lumen for two hours plus

Beorn

Oct 27, 2009
Ulm
One more for the Fenix LD20, I use it for everything: Walking, nightcache, nightrides on Mountainbike, daily (or nightly) rides to university, etc. just everything!

After a half-year of use I come dowm with the first set if batteries, but the replacements are still in my bag.

What else to say? - The look of it is sexy :D , in my opinion.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
I must admit to being a maglite fan.

I am in the process of changing over to LED's bulb replacements.

QUOTE]

I've just done the same bought a Terralux TLE-5EX lightbulb upgrade on Ebay for just under £17
The difference over the standard is phenomenal
Im going to have to restrain myself from doing the same for my D cell maglites as a result

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Can anyone explain why some of these AA torches won't take Lithium batteries?

A standard AA is 1.5V, the lithiums are 3-3.7V. Some of the leds used are voltage specific so putting a lithium in will damage them. Those that can run the lithiums will often be significantly brighter when doing so, up to 100% brighter in fact.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ultrafire C3 CREE Q5 (230 lumen.)
i've the big brother of that, it takes 3XAAA, 260 lumen for two hours plus

The C3 is a good torch, but it's worth being a little cautious of the stated lumens with Ultrafire and some of the other Asian budget brands. Some are rating their torches at physically impossible levels in terms of what the LED and battery are capable of, as with anything, there are limits.

I'd tend to knock about a 1/3rd off to get a reasonably accurate rating on pretty much any Dealextreme type torch.

If you want good value on a budget have a look at Shiningbeam, they have some of the Dealextreme stuff like Romisen, but offer higher output leds. Prices are very good.

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/StoreFront

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Another vote for the Fenix LD20, it's a great flashlight with an amazing 180 lumens (I think a mini maglite is about 5 lumens).

I have the L2D which is a fantastic light, incredibly versatile, but the LD20 is even better. Since I got the L2D I only carry one light because it can do everything. There's a red filter, a diffusion cone to use it as a lantern and with a NiteIze headband it can even be used as a headlamp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arwWjpZSCmc

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
plus the Fenix stuff they sell the other bodies to swap you if you decide you want to run one AA or a 123 etc ;)

mate just bought the LD10 single AA version for a work light as a Armed responce copper very nice but a little small for me might lose it :lmao:

ATB

Duncan

So do Dealextreme :cool:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I'm staying away from Dealextreme, there are so many gadgets and things on there that I would like but when I ordered something it never turned up. Luckily I paid through paypal so they got my money back with no hassle.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm staying away from Dealextreme, there are so many gadgets and things on there that I would like but when I ordered something it never turned up. Luckily I paid through paypal so they got my money back with no hassle.

Had excellent service throughout from DX. Their packaging isn't very good, but the two problems I have had, a faulty battery charger and one duff cell out of a pair of rechargeable CR123 cells, were sorted out straight away. I wasn't even asked to return the items, and the charger has been repaired and now works fine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE