The Berghaus Crusader any thoughts to share?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
I'm seriously considering purchasing this rucksack it seems to be a safe purchase but I am unsure if I can find one in the store so might have to buy blind over the net.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Berghaus Crusader 90+20 crusader?
From what I've gathered the Berghaus Vulcan appears to be the standard and lots of people seem to be quite smitten with it. I've only been able to find two customer reviews on the Crusader so does anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Thanks all!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The Vulcan set the standard and many 30 year old packs are still in use.

I think the Crusader is a development of the bobmbproof Vulcan, slightly bigger and geared towards the modular "add on" systems in use today like molle or mmps.

That's all I can tell you I'm afraid.

Liam

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
As Myagi said the Vulcan is a tried & tested bit of kit whereas the Crusader has yet to prove it's self. .....Personally I don't like molle webbing on a rucksack & the 'tactical' look reallly puts me off. I imagine that Berghaus is hoping to compete with the Lowe Alpine Saracen which look very similar to me.
I've never handled a crusader so don't know anything about it's build quality but there's no reason to believe that it's inferior to that of the Vulcan.
If you like the look & modularity of it then you probably won't be disappointed..................Though I suspect they may be harder to sell on than the Vulcan if you decided that you didn't like it.:rolleyes:

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
As Myagi said the Vulcan is a tried & tested bit of kit whereas the Crusader has yet to prove it's self. .....Personally I don't like molle webbing on a rucksack & the 'tactical' look reallly puts me off. I imagine that Berghaus is hoping to compete with the Lowe Alpine Saracen which look very similar to me.
I've never handled a crusader so don't know anything about it's build quality but there's no reason to believe that it's inferior to that of the Vulcan.
If you like the look & modularity of it then you probably won't be disappointed..................Though I suspect they may be harder to sell on than the Vulcan if you decided that you didn't like it.:rolleyes:

Thats a good point about selling it on timber! I'll search for a store location of the crusader I kind of have my heart set on it now but I'm confused as to the measurement system and would prefer going to a retail store.
Anyone aware of any in the Wiltshire area that may stock Crusaders? or Vulcans?
How does the Vulcan feel on your back? I've got a Berghus cyclops roc backpack and its given me an awful lot of back pain I've still got piain from a hike several days ago in my front chest from wearing it. I'm afraid of purchasing a pack which will do similar damage. Is it just a matter of manning up? my Cyclops roc has no chest strap and I wonder if that's why I have centre chest pain.
Thanks for the input guys.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
How does the Vulcan feel on your back? I've got a Berghus cyclops roc backpack and its given me an awful lot of back pain I've still got piain from a hike several days ago in my front chest from wearing it. I'm afraid of purchasing a pack which will do similar damage. Is it just a matter of manning up? my Cyclops roc has no chest strap and I wonder if that's why I have centre chest pain.

Chalk "n" cheese ...............The old roc has a very basic back system similar to the PLCE bergen...........Both the Vulcan & Crusader have far superior back padding & shoulder straps, not mention a waist belt that actually works.....just be sure to get the right back length.

Have you seen these,.? not great but gives you a better idea ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKhlWMns4Q .............kill the sound on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=nZeipMQjtSk

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Chalk "n" cheese ...............The old roc has a very basic back system similar to the PLCE bergen...........Both the Vulcan & Crusader have far superior back padding & shoulder straps, not mention a waist belt that actually works.....just be sure to get the right back length.

Have you seen these,.? not great but gives you a better idea ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvKhlWMns4Q .............kill the sound on this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwp&v=nZeipMQjtSk

Thanks for linking them but yes I've seen both of them already and yes I killed the sound when I first watched it. I think I might actually do my own review if I get one, simply hike left many questions unanswered and the music one was a very poor show and tell video. Thanks for assuring me about the back padding. Cyclops Roc shoulder straps are pretty dam painful and I'm unsure if its just me being a bit of a sissy. At this rate I'll certainly purchase either the vulcan or the crusader. Primarily for use of backpacking. How do I select the size of the backpack? I've seen a graph somewhere about how to measure the back but I've been unable to find information about the sizes. I know that the sizes are 1-4 but I've not found an explanation online on how I work out what my size is. As I said I will look around locally for a retailer id prefer not to purchase it online as this will hopefully be a lifelong companion its best to get the perfect size.
Thanks for your help all its much appreciated.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
How to measure your back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qvt29gv0X8

Then compare it to one of the back sizes
Size 1 - Back length 38cm - 43cm (typical height 5'3 - 5'8 / 160cm - 173cm)
Size 2 - Back length 38cm - 43cm (typical height 5'3 - 5'8 / 160cm - 173cm)
Size 3 - Back length 43cm - 48cm (typical height 5'8 - 5'11 / 170cm - 183cm)
Size 4 - Back length 48cm - 54cm (typical height 6'0 - 6'6 / 183cm - 198cm)

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
as to the vulcan after many years of carrying a plce pack in mill and civvie life. finaly got myself one cant rate it enough feels like ime only carrying half the load . now when im out i spend each nite in a different location because now i have less fatiuge with this pack atb paul.

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Thanks all. Looks like now all I need to do is decide upon the Vulcan and Crusader.The crusader I believe is a newer pack? I might end up going with the Vulcan unless someone can give me a good reason why(if) the Crusader is better. The amount of feedback online about the Vulcan is overwhelming where the Crusader is non existentant. That doesn't mean its bad however I'll keep searching. thanks all!
------
One thing I have noticed is that the Vulcan uses the cyclops II backsystem where as the crusader uses III backsystem anyone know anything about the backsystems? I am unable to find any information on it...
Thanks again!

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
To Me the Crusader is far far better. The vulcan can be split into two compartments which I found got in the way of packing. One tube sack is much easier

Now re reading all the posts are we talking about the crusader which was the previous version BEFORE the vulcan

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
yep clicked the link for simplyhike and checked

SHAME the old one was great. Someone tell Berghaus to bring it back just with a better back system.

1 vote here for 1 compartment rucksacks:rolleyes:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Nice one

I was glued to my treasured Crusader for many a years happy hiking along time ago. Then bought a vulcan and actually gave the vulcan away hated the dam thing.

Ended up with and issue one and adding padding to the back.

Last edited:

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
No :( He seemed to know his stuff tho.
The crappy music , simply hike and the French are the only videos out there on this pack. It looks like I will purchase the crusader from here:
http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Berghaus/Crusader90Plus20Rucksack.aspx
Thanks for all your help guys! This forum is fantastic I'll purchase it online after I phone a few camping shops tomorrow to check to see if they have any in stock. Id like to see one up close if possible. Whatever the case its a significant upgrade from my Cyclops Roc rucksack it was a hand me down from my father its been all over the place still in perfect condition but like I said incredibly uncomfortable and lacks side pockets. Time for a upgrade!

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
You're forgetting the one with 70's elevator music....smoooooooth................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0CTbB0_tY

Indeed! I saw that one as well. A 70's era elevator/gameshow music used to review a military style rucksack is not a flattering mix. I wouldn't have minded if it had just given a decent review but it answered no questions. Thanks for all of the advice timberwolf it was a great help. I'll make sure to post in this thread again once I get it. Who knows I might even convert some Vulcan fans over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE