The ambiguity of knife law

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It’s not a flick knife, flick knives and gravity knives fall into a separate and category.This guy’s bandying around terms and misinformation that muddles things for those who aren’t familiar with the actual law. And according to post #9, it’s because the forum is a bit quiet.

All this thread is, is fodder for the anti knife lobby. :35:

Yep

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
But should you not be part of the (hypothetical) "anti knife lobby"?

Engage in constructive discussions?
Constructive discussions, eh?

How about what amounts to legal opinions, and sometimes even advice, from those not in the least qualified to offer such?

There are many who post on this topic, here and elsewhere on the interweb, who patently just don't have any grasp of the law, not only as it is written but perhaps more importantly how it will be interpreted and enforced by
Police officers, prosecutors and magistrates et.al. It has nothing to do with what's right, or fair, or sensible (more's the pity) but a bunch of people with the power to do so have decided that the current laws are the way to deal with our present problems and they're going to carry on with this course of action and steamroller anybody who gets caught up on the wrong side of things, right or wrong.

The time to do something about all this is not when you find yourself embroiled in a bad situation but at a much deeper level of involvement with your politicians and lawmakers, but I fear that in the current climate one would be using a broken paddle against a very strong tide.

Reactions: petrochemicals

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I hope you understand I mean that the 'knife users' ( pro-knife people?) should try to engage in a constructive discussion with the State?
(not a c. d. on this forum, that is not what I mean)

Do you know that it is done in many countries, successfully?
I can give you many examples where laws were changed because the 'users' and their organisations felt a change was needed.

The result can be a permit system vs a total ban. Or bans can be overturned and a permit system introduced.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I didn't groan at first, but I am now.

Unless someone is involved in Law Enforcement or Prosecution, or has been through this process in the UK, it probably isn't worth posting to this thread. I am always interested to hear how the system actually behaves, but reading a lot of debate from people who are giving opinion based on their own reading, or third hand stories, or...well, anything other than first hand experience, gets wearing after a while. Clearly I am not alone in thinking this!

Without that first hand experience, your opinion isn't going to add much to all that has already been posted.

That was what was good about threads in the Members area of Edge Matters, there were people posting who were legally trained, involved in the law, and/or who were in discussions with the law makers.

:goodnight:

Reactions: Nice65

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I didn't groan at first, but I am now.

Unless someone is involved in Law Enforcement or Prosecution, or has been through this process in the UK, it probably isn't worth posting to this thread. I am always interested to hear how the system actually behaves, but reading a lot of debate from people who are giving opinion based on their own reading, or third hand stories, or...well, anything other than first hand experience, gets wearing after a while. Clearly I am not alone in thinking this!

Without that first hand experience, your opinion isn't going to add much to all that has already been posted.

That was what was good about threads in the Members area of Edge Matters, there were people posting who were legally trained, involved in the law, and/or who were in discussions with the law makers.

:goodnight:

Not posting unless you have first hand knowledge would reduce worldwide forum posts by about 75%
Thats the last thing a struggling platform needs! Think of the children!!!

Reactions: Fadcode and Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Flick knife im not sure about, but this is an expert. The stanleys a switch blade a switchblade.

Flick knife im not sure about, but this is an expert. The stanleys a switch blade a switchblade.

Well, I’ll certainly take the opinion of an American kid who mainly posts on YouTube about Pokemon as my new legal advisor on UK knife law. Brilliantly done, and kudos for playing this whole forum into the hands of anyone anti knife by posting a link to an automatic stiletto knife on a UK bushcraft forum. This is a troll thread, and you know it. What you’re trying to achieve, I have no idea, but you’re clearly either stupid or hard of learning in some way, so let me educate you. It’s weird PC, you normally post good stuff, what’s up, your name in a thread usually means I’ll have a read?

UK knife law: Criminal Justice Act 1988 latest revision.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpg...s-with-blades-or-points-and-offensive-weapons

Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959. Describes the exact mechanism of flick, auto, gravity knives.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/7-8/37/section/1

Reactions: Fadcode

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not posting unless you have first hand knowledge would reduce worldwide forum posts by about 75%
Thats the last thing a struggling platform needs! Think of the children!!!

The struggle for people to find facts in a sea of opinion is a problem these days.

I am more a fan of quality than quantity. If this whole subject was new I might not think it so much a waste of time for people with no experience to be posting, but the fact is that there have been a ton of posts made even on just this forum and very few of them are really useful to anyone reading and looking for facts.

Also, if I were not tasked with keeping an eye on subjects that can become contentious I probably would be less bothered about seeing threads start down the same well trodden paths.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Ill be honest I thought it was a girl. Weirdly, he starts off with a high pitch voice shooting crossbows and making his own knife (which i find quite impressive for his age) and ends up with a deep voice playing pokemonn.

I am being side tracked by the switchblade argument. The knife and blade operation is still illegal to carry, front ejecting lock mechanism.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-...50&gclid=CLGHxdWx998CFQ2UhQodrWYODQ&gclsrc=ds

This knife is illegal, and without a tracable alibi in a direct need for it, ie not in the pub, you would be in jail if you where caught twice.

I think i will go and buy one of thoes spring stanley knives, and if you can keep the blade open with an automaticunfolding to a lock position i shall have to inform the police.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The struggle for people to find facts in a sea of opinion is a problem these days.

I am more a fan of quality than quantity. If this whole subject was new I might not think it so much a waste of time for people with no experience to be posting, but the fact is that there have been a ton of posts made even on just this forum and very few of them are really useful to anyone reading and looking for facts.

Also, if I were not tasked with keeping an eye on subjects that can become contentious I probably would be less bothered about seeing threads start down the same well trodden paths.

The same subject being discussed over and now too!!!!

Right, you are definitely an agent of Facebook trying to shut forums down from the inside

I am of course just messing about and I get exactly where you are coming from fear not

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE