The acorns are coming down :-)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Beautiful big, fat, creamy acorns littering the woodland this morning :)
Acorn coffee for the rest of the year :1244:
Going back out this afternoon for a forage.
There are a couple of threads on how to prep the acorns........I'll see if I can find a link.

cheers,
Toddy

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15972&highlight=acorn+coffee
Sadly nearly all the acorns round me have galls on them, or some kind of scale. Apart from the two red oak in a local park, and the acorns are tiny.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ours weren't coming down yesterday, but I got half a kilo this afternoon :D .......and it's windy:D
Must go look for the Beechnuts too.

atb,
M

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
At the woods just up from my house the acorns have mostly turned black and manky some bloke who does some of the wood management told me this occurs when they have been attacked by bees or wasps news to me can anybody shed any light on this..:confused:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Yeah, there probably Gall wasps. It wont get all of the acorns on a tree though. There are a few other gall wasps that live in other parts of the oak, swelling and reshaping the part.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
ok daft question.. never collected acorns before but keen to give it a try... what am I looking for? Green? brown? on the tree? on the ground?

prob daft questions but I have no idea..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ok daft question.. never collected acorns before but keen to give it a try... what am I looking for? Green? brown? on the tree? on the ground?

prob daft questions but I have no idea..

Fresh, green, clean, on the ground. Usually just out of their cups though some are still attached.

cheers,
M

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just out of interest what maggot lives in acorns?
Was having a look at some acorns today and found a few that had small slits in them where maggots were living.Dave

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Yeah, in some places I can hardly sit down anywhere without getting bonked in the head.

Sadly, every acorn I broken open has one or more fat white grubs eating the meat inside. The squirrels seem to be harvesting the good ones before they fall off the tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE