The 8 foot parsnip....and mystery chrysalis...chrysalii....chrys alises?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow...never heard of them...pretty sure you have it spot on Hoodoo.

My first year of letting them go over to seed so I am learning a lot.....

COnsider me educated - thanks!

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
just remember the seeds do not keep well viability will be ok for next year but beyond that the germination ratio goes way down...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed - but a few of these will be left for the year after :)

Parsnip by British Red, on Flickr

It does appear that parsnip in particular is best used fresh...I have had other types that seem good for several years....

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Red, is that special seed or is that a common height for the plant to reach?

Never grown parsnips, though they are on the cards.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I understand they are always big...

They are biennial so you have to let them grow into year two for the flowers (carrots too). They use all the energy in the root to make a much bigger plant and seed heads. Carrots go about 2 foot with big white flowers.

Parsnips are monsters though. Don't know if they all get quite so large - this is an heirloom variety (Tender and True) that we like, so decided to go to seed save it. We are trying to move to be entirely using saved seed - its a big earning curve for me I can tell you!

I just did a big post on all the failures this years weather has caused us - happy to bung it up here if there is interest

Red

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I saw the potato blight salad, looks lovely.

I'll find it if its not that thread you were referring to.

Didn't know they were biennials tbh, we grow parsley though so i'm familiar with the type.

We are saving our own seeds too this year. We grow most stuff in planters/containers so it pays to save some money to help towards compost costs. We are leaning towards perennials and fruit atm so we dont have to keep buying compost. Got too much stuff growing all over the place. Be glad when some of its harvested. :)

Courgettes have had it with the black rot and the broad beans are borderline getting cut down because of chocolate spot. Might leave a lot of it next year until we get our own land to grow on, :)

I understand they are always big...

They are biennial so you have to let them grow into year two for the flowers (carrots too). They use all the energy in the root to make a much bigger plant and seed heads. Carrots go about 2 foot with big white flowers.

Parsnips are monsters though. Don't know if they all get quite so large - this is an heirloom variety (Tender and True) that we like, so decided to go to seed save it. We are trying to move to be entirely using saved seed - its a big earning curve for me I can tell you!

I just did a big post on all the failures this years weather has caused us - happy to bung it up here if there is interest

Red

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You have never had one unless it went in the oven fresh from the ground. They are like peas - fresh, they are sweet, tender, soft and delicious. A few days old (like in the shops) wrinkly, tough, starchy.

Find someone who grows them and blag a panful. Roast in a medium oven with a little oil and a drizzle of honey over.

The food of the Gods!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its an experience Hoodoo...I tried some at a mates house with a roast dinner decades back. I actually asked what they were!

I said "where did you get them"....

and a gardener was born!

The joy is, they sit in the earth happily all winter even after the top growth has died off. Just dig up as needed. Any leftovers run to seed the next year...and so the cycle continues.

I wish I could send you some to try...but I suspect they would lose something in the post!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Its an experience Hoodoo...I tried some at a mates house with a roast dinner decades back. I actually asked what they were!

I said "where did you get them"....

and a gardener was born!

The joy is, they sit in the earth happily all winter even after the top growth has died off. Just dig up as needed. Any leftovers run to seed the next year...and so the cycle continues.

I wish I could send you some to try...but I suspect they would lose something in the post!

I'll have to start checking the local farm markets around here to see if I can find some fresh ones. :)

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I used to hate parsnips when I was little, then my sister made roast snips with melted cheese and I've loved them ever since :) I'd even go so far as to say they are my favourite veg. Unfortunately every time I've tried to grow some I've always let the weeds grow too big by the time they sprout and I never know what is snip and what is weed! I'm determined to grow some though and they are on next years 'to grow' list :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE