That's it! I've packed my bag...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
...with too much stupid stuff.
I decided this evening, while the trouble and strife is watching Criminal Minds, that I would pack a bag in case I ever get chance to just escape for an hour of 2 and this is what I ended up with :eek:

02dd9ec7-2994-f59a.jpg

I have waaay too much of some stuff and probably not enough/non of other stuff but it really is only for a couple of hours out local to get a feel for things. :D

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just a thought: Spread out that load everytime you've got some spare hours and want to go out, close your eyes and randomly pick 5 items. Improvise and use your imagination what you can do with them whilst out and about for that short period of time. ;)

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I thought you said a couple of hours not weeks! Is 3 mess tins entirely necessary? And an axe? And copious amounts of food?
If you want to cut it down, limit yourself to a 25-33 litre daysack for a couple of hours.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
A couple of hours?..3 mess tins!!. What are we having a banquet with guests and are we having 2 Para to tea perhaps with all that grub?..:) :) Just kiddin' mate.:)
Probably the best way to find out really just what you need, is by trial and error. I doubt if anybody gets it dead right every time until they've got a good few trips under their belt...:)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I doubt if anybody gets it dead right every time until they've got a good few trips under their belt...:)

Wise words, we all start somewhere and TBH there is no right and wrong in what to take above the essentials even if you have a 1000 trips under your belt. If your happy lugging stuff that others wouldn't take then that fine...

Any how putting kit into a daysack is preferable to watching the TV.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
The essentials:
Waterproof (if not wearing suitable top layer)
FAK
Camera
Water
Phone
Paracord bracelet
Knife

Extras:
Binoculars
Crusader Mug
Burner
Brew Kit
Torch (depending when/where)

That should see you well and truly set for most little excursions and then some!

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Take it all ,.....

then do a reverse inventory when you get back...

next time leave out everything you didnt touch...

then drop an item each outing until you still enjoy the walk,....as your comfort level gets lower ask why and add some bits back in...or deal with a lower comfort level

it takes time,...

everybodies different and has differing levels of comfort,. and your enviroment and time of year is also a consideration...

as an example we (Lanny and I) did two full days with a knife and an axe between us,....it was a laugh,...not exactly comfortable but hey,.....

if you want to just get out and play with your kit then great,....take it all,..must say tho,..i dont think i could eat all that in a day never mind two hours.lol

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Just a thought: Spread out that load everytime you've got some spare hours and want to go out, close your eyes and randomly pick 5 items. Improvise and use your imagination what you can do with them whilst out and about for that short period of time. ;)

I like the idea and will definitely give it a try thanks :cool:

:yikes: for a couple of hours locally, just take a flask of Tea / Coffee and some sandwiches !

I know where you're coming from but I want to actually try making my own fire, or at least brewing up on my own hexi stove :D

If you want to cut it down, limit yourself to a 25-33 litre daysack for a couple of hours.

That is only 33 litres :D

Like I said, I know I have way too much of some stuff. The 3 mess tins are for my special friends anyway :D
The mess tins and rat pack kit is more a culmination of hoarding for the last few years so I reckon if I take 'em I'll use 'em. If I use them I then have a reason to buy more ;)

Axe? Well ya never know how carried away I'll get ;) and the sharps will be narrowed down to probably Laplander, Bushlore knife and Victorinox penknife. I reckon the poncho can be used as a quick temp shelter and if I need that many field dressing and other first aid kit I'll probably have bled out before I open it all :eek::p

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The essentials:
Waterproof (if not wearing suitable top layer)
FAK
Camera
Water
Phone
Paracord bracelet
Knife

Extras:
Binoculars
Crusader Mug
Burner
Brew Kit
Torch (depending when/where)

That should see you well and truly set for most little excursions and then some!

I'd personally debate if a Camera,phone, paracord bracelet and yes even a knife are essentials for a couple of hours in the woods..

I say this as I often spend a few hours in the bush without any of these things and I haven't felt I've missed out on much.

However they might be essential to you which is fine.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I'd personally debate if a Camera,phone, paracord bracelet and yes even a knife are essentials for a couple of hours in the woods..

I say this as I often spend a few hours in the bush without any of these things and I haven't felt I've missed out on much.

However they might be essential to you which is fine.
Well in my opinion phone can almost always get you out of trouble, camera is my essential to keep a record of all the great trips and memories and the paracord is just usually something I'm wearing! The knife's probably not neccessary though.
Interested on your thoughts of the above.

madgaz

Forager
Sep 21, 2011
Bradford, West Yorkshire

Camera and phone are 1 for me and always with me, I also always wear a paracord bracelet so that's that. Knife? Well it'll be in my pack just in case. I know of a local quarry which I am looking to get in touch with the owner of. It's rural and not a quarry as you would imagine. It has been disused many many years but is set on a lovely valley side and surrounded by wooded areas etc.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Well in my opinion phone can almost always get you out of trouble, camera is my essential to keep a record of all the great trips and memories and the paracord is just usually something I'm wearing! The knife's probably not neccessary though.
Interested on your thoughts of the above.

I agree a phone is a very useful tool for lots of things increasingly so as smart phones become more mainstream and the cost reduces.

But we're talking about a 2 hr bimble in the woods as per the OP.... Is a phone 'essential' for that?? My personal view is not in as much as its not essential to take a camera and document everything you do. It's nice to have a camera but nice to have is not essential to me.

Likewise having stuff on you like a paracord bracelet or knife or torch or survival kit is fine. But to me not essential for a couple of hours...

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
how many knives are you taking for a short bimble in the LW. just take 2 knives and the axe, a flask of water, some fruit, including some sort of vitaminc, and a boil in a bag and your raymears book if you are inexperience. and a tarp and some loo roll, and a firesteel or lighter. go and have some fun. leave the rest behind. when I am in the UK. I only take a knife, no food, just water, it teaches you about self control and be alert. at all cost. cheers the interceptor boy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE