Thank You Button

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
I really wish BCUK had a thank you button. I believe it is a nice way to give a positive feed back to a thread.
On BCUSA I have given almost twice as mant thankt yous than I have made posts.
I tend toread a lot more than I post any way.
I don't know if there is some kind of problem adding it or that it might be cost prohibited.
So any way just my thoughts,cause I find me saying a lot"This is great, wish there was a Thanks Button so I could show my appriciation!!":thankyou:

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Agreed. A thank you button is a good way to say thanks for a post with out having to type out a reply and fill up the boards with unnecessary posts.

EmmaD

Forager
Feb 27, 2011
South Staffs
Thank You's clutter up threads and are just not needed. They seem to be ego buttons than anything else as well as being used negatively. No place for them in polite society.

Last edited:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Thank You's clutter up threads and are just not needed. They seem to be ego buttons than anything else as well as being used negatively. No place for them in polite society.

The "Thank you" posted by a button wouldn't clutter up a thread at all (Quite the opposite) since it would simply be a name tag in a thankyou section under the original post.

I think this is an excellent idea and works very well on many forums.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The problem with Thankyou buttons is you get stuck in an infinite feedback loop. Someone posts up a nice bit of work. You compliment them. They Thankyou back you thank them for thanking you. ... ad infinitum....

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I don't like the idea and think it could become a bit of a brown nose button too :p, but I think it's not needed anyone can click a button but a comment made is much better and makes it more like proper communication.

Just my 2p :).

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Just read the link to the last discussion. I agree that making "likes/thankyous" into some sort of points system would be a bad idea but on the other forums I frequent they're passive, and its quicker if you're on lots of forums or newsfeeds. Having said that, different forums have different characters and its generally whatever the people who post the most want, which is understandable. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Last edited:
I really wish BCUK had a thank you button. I believe it is a nice way to give a positive feed back to a thread.
On BCUSA I have given almost twice as mant thankt yous than I have made posts.
I tend toread a lot more than I post any way.
I don't know if there is some kind of problem adding it or that it might be cost prohibited.
So any way just my thoughts,cause I find me saying a lot"This is great, wish there was a Thanks Button so I could show my appriciation!!":thankyou:

On BCUSA its a fan boy button in many cases with the same people thanking some even if they arnt involved in the thread and the post is clearly nothing to do with them in any way and have infact thanked every single one of that persons threads ever written

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
On the forum I frequent the most (50/50 with this one I guess) all you see is a line at the bottom of the post (in very small case) starting with a small 'thumbs up' icon followed by "Frank, Jim and 5 others like this post". Its just for the poster, really, although no record is kept of the number of 'likes' and nobody else pays much attention to it. Its no more intrusive than a sig.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The problem with Thankyou buttons is you get stuck in an infinite feedback loop. Someone posts up a nice bit of work. You compliment them. They Thankyou back you thank them for thanking you. ... ad infinitum....

Ummm. The thank you button doesn't have an option to thank back.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
On BCUSA its a fan boy button in many cases with the same people thanking some even if they arnt involved in the thread and the post is clearly nothing to do with them in any way and have infact thanked every single one of that persons threads ever written

That's kinda the point; to be able to thank someone (or applaud if you will0 without adding drivel.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This discussion comes up here every so often. It'll follow the normal routine: attract a lot of comments from both sides before somebody reminds us that Tony said no. I'd personally like to see one and have made that argument before. But the bottom line is it's Tony's forum and he doesn't want it.

Will he ever change his mind? Who knows. Maybe, if it comes up often enough. But at the end of the day, it's his decision.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This discussion comes up here every so often. It'll follow the normal routine: attract a lot of comments from both sides before somebody reminds us that Tony said no. I'd personally like to see one and have made that argument before. But the bottom line is it's Tony's forum and he doesn't want it.

Will he ever change his mind? Who knows. Maybe, if it comes up often enough. But at the end of the day, it's his decision.

Well said good sir, I and everyone else who's against them just have to hope he won't change his mind anytime soon :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Forums thrive on conversation.

It's really not that hard to say thank you, and add a comment of your own, to a thread.
Consider it a courtesy that shows the OP that the post was interesting/informative/timely/or even disputed :D

If there's a thank you button, I think there should be a no thank you one too. Biased otherwise.

cheers,
Toddy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm in the no thank you camp to a button as as we have discussed before it's A: Tony's Forum, B: Surely it's about discussion not voting and popularity. But in a democracy folk should be allowed to ask and discuss so it's fun to do so. But at the end of the day it's down to the Big White Bear! (As it's not a democracy:eek:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE