THAMES VALLEY WING

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
OK guy's just so we're not all talking across each other I'll start this thread for people in the Thames Valley to talk and arrange things.
How about we have a 'host' who arranges a pub or coffee shop or venue whatever each month. this will need people to be forthcoming and offer to host a monthly meet-up. I volunteer to do the first one. Just so we can get things moving, how about we meet up in a couple of weeks time...Say the 18th June Friday. If every one is happy with that we can arrange the next meet at the close of the evening at each meet (Good use of English eh ?!!) Jakunen - I'd be happy to pick you up from the Oxford Train Station or coach station along with anyone else who dosn't drive. It dosn't necessarily have to be the last friday every month. just a date we all agree on.
What do you think then ? :-D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sounds interesting - we talking pubs or do you intend to get out on the ground too?

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Fridays present difficulties for me - it being Scout night - so I might have to show an interest from a distance... :-(

Especially the proposed first night, as it's the weekend before a district camping competition that we're entering a Patrol into.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Gary- yes very much intending to get out on the ground. the first one though should be discuss ideas we all agree on, and arrange something for the next Host meet. eg Jakunen was impressive with his knowledge of plants down in Dartmoor (latin names and all.. don't you know !! :shock: ) so maybe he'd be good enough to do a Plant walk down his patch, or I could do Bow drill bit as I seem to have that cracked now. I think an initial meet-up to discuss our ideas would be wise at first. What do others think ? OK if 18th June is no go for people lets all post dates over the next 8 fridays weeks where we can make it and we'll go with the majority ? How about that idea ?

Mine are - Friday's 18th june/2nd july/9th july/16th july/ 23rd july/6th aug/13th aug/20 aug

jakunen

Native
Steady there Falling Rain! I might have to get a bigger hat! :lol:
Seriously though, I'd be happy to lead a plant walk, (names of plants (I'll try to remember more of the English ones), culinary and medicinal uses, a bit of folklore), just give me time to refresh my memory. It's bin a while so I want to brush up a bit...I had to ask Tom about a few AND check in your book on a couple as I'd forgotten them... :-(
As they say 'use it, or lose it!'.
I've forgotten more than I'd care to try to work out how much I've forgotten!
I'm busy the following Fridays 18/06, 09/07, 20/08, 27/08, but AFAIK, I'm free the rest. For now...

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Not at all Wayne - Any member is welcome if you're willing to travel to the monthly meets that would take place in this area. That was the idea to have local groups so people in a certain area could meet up and arrange some local events thereby avoiding long journeys. We've got the Cotswolds and the Ridgeway and Chilterns all within a short car ride away. I was just thinking along the lines that you could pack your kit on a Thursday evening and take it to work on the Friday and head straight for the hills for weekend straight after work. Summer's on it's way now and although Dartmoor was good if you left for Devon on a Friday after work you can bet there'll be a lot of traffic on the roads and wouldn't get there till pretty late Friday night and have to leave again at Midday Sunday to get home at a reasonable time for work on the Monday. Local meets would mean more time out there and you could still have a full day on the Sunday with only a short journey home again. - You'd be very welcome Wayne

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
local meets are a great idea. the more the merrier.

i finish work at 1pm on a friday so getting to Oxfordshire from Bognor isn't really a big deal. the cost of fuel doesn't get cheaper but still making new friends is worth it. Its only going to be once a month so Val would not mind too much.

I hope the Southampton lads are going to arrange another meet up.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
:biggthump Good Man,
I'm up for a meetup. That Friday the 18th i'll be on the ridgeway at Streatley, heading by bicycle to Waylands Smithy the following night, then Avebury drove saturday night, then up early to watch the sunrise Monday morning. You are of course welcome to join us :-D
May I propose that first Friday in July, July 2nd then ?
Cheers
Rich

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ditto to Mr Humphreys - 18th of June I am running a small bushcraft basics course down at my east sussex site so i cant make that one. However evening 2 July would be ok for me

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Fox & Hounds

279 Abingdon Road
Oxford, OX1 4TJ
Information: 01865 722210

Shall we do it then.? 2nd July 7pm at the above venue. It looks like a few can make it. If anyone needs picking up from the coach or train station let me know. See you there

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I can't make this I'm afraid :cry: , it's a shame because I'd like to put faces to names.

Perhaps next time

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE