Tetanus jabs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Hi!

Anyone know what the current accepted thinking on multiple tetanus jabs is? The reception I get swings between "Oh my god, you've had THAT many tetanus jabs" to "Here you go, don't say I don't give you anything".

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Adi....I'm no doctor so can't tell you anything other than my own experience...

I used to work with Police and Service dogs a while ago and was forever getting nipped... and off I'd go to the Doc's for my next jab....I must have had about 6 or 7...maybe a few more (I've been having them since I was in Cubs!). The last time I went for one I was in with the nurse and the Doc popped his head in and mentioned that after you've had 5 (or 6...can't be sure) then you're done for life and don't need anymore...
I had the one for that day and since then haven't had another....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Digging as I do terrifies my doctor (I have allergies :cry: ) so he insisted on a course of tetanus injections. No1 swelled up like a duck egg, No2 left my arm useless for a week, No3 never happened. He said I wouldn't need any more since I was obviously fighting it just fine. :?: :lol:

That said, one of the guys I worked with nagged the face off every archaeology student to get their jabs. His sister died of tetanus and that wasn't very long ago. :cry:

Be safe people, it's a nasty way to die, at least talk to your doctor about it.

Toddy

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Wise words Toddy. The current views of medical experts changes so rapidly though its hard to keep up.

I have been searching invain to get a definitive answer on when give CPR to hyperthermia victims. One source says do another don't. Am i going to get sued for making the wrong judgment.

I must have had at least 6 tetanus jabs. I was recently kind of bitten by a Racoon dog. No broken skin due to the layers of clothing i was wearing. the poor animal was the killed and sent for tests. Makes you think long and hard about disease and what sensible precautions to take.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Four or five I think, the last one really swelled up. Why do they include diptheria with it these days? I tend to go by the ten year rule but my medical records seem to be scrambled and a few f the jabs aren't on the list - I know I had one when I took a blow to the head which is in my records but the jab isn;t mentioned.

Realgar

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
NHS direct said:
The first three doses are often followed up by two booster doses: one on starting school and the other on leaving school. Combined tetanus / low-dose diphtheria vaccine is now used rather than tetanus alone for these boosters.

The full five doses are considered to give lifelong immunity. Booster doses should also be given in the following circumstances:·

Following a wound which may give rise to tetanus where the person has not had the full five doses or where this information is not known. However, if the wound is contaminated, a dose of tetanus antibodies (known as human tetanus immunoglobulin) should be given.·
For travellers to areas where medical attention might not be available should an injury occur that might give rise to tetanus and the last dose was more than 10 years previously.
Experiencing tetanus does not itself produce immunity to a second infection. People who have had tetanus should still be immunised when they have recovered

NHS Direct

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wayne said:
The current views of medical experts changes so rapidly though its hard to keep up.

I have been searching invain to get a definitive answer on when give CPR to hyperthermia victims. One source says do another don't. Am i going to get sued for making the wrong judgment.(quote)

I don't think there's really an answer to these types of issues. The best you can do, and defend your actions by if necessary, is that at the time, on the balance of the evidence at hand, your efforts were to help and not to harm and that your actions were not done recklessly or without consideration.

Never easy, one of my sons playmates ran away from his mother in a temper and was hit by a car. Two passing nurses turned him over (with all due care) on the road to administer cpr, by all evidences the child was dead. He's alive now, but his spinal injuries mean he will never walk. He was 3 years old. I know both the nurses and the mother and child, both still hurt watching a young man in the prime of life living it from a wheelchair. No one to blame.....just the way it goes. Everyone did their best, and for all the right reasons. A dead child or a damaged live one?

How much harder to make the decisions when remote from civilization too?

I hope I never have to make that judgement call.

Toddy

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
arctic hobo said:
In many developing countries you will be given one whenever you go to hospital just to be safe. Just as an FYI
Not sure what that says about Wales then ... get one pretty much every time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE