Testing the Traditional kit Boone warm up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last Friday after i had done a couple of night shifts Albus Cutler came down to pay and collect for the SWC knife he had off me, always one to see the potential for a camp i'd suggested that rather than have a brew and skidaddle back home we combined his visit with an over nighter at my permission.
Albus hasnt managed many camps recently but has accrued a fine kit set up partly from reading on here and partly by being influenced by my evil kit magpie ways :)

here Albus is setting up a waxed cotton cord to act as a ridgeline.
meanwhile i was setting up my polish lavvu half (apologies for the pic i took it on phone)

once it was up both of us looked at it and went "I/You aren't going to fit under that"
so lesson learnt polish lavvu half works if A you intend to float it a bit off of the ground B plan on having only head and kit covered by the lavvu or C you are a hobbit
quickly i took down the lavvu and replaced it with the other canvas tarp in my kit, rigging this up as a basic lean too as can be seen here

My bed for the night-Dutch army wool Blanket, lighter weight wool blanket and polish lavvu half acting as ground sheet

Albus prepping the veg for dinner

Chef Sam frying the chorizo, onions and pork

nom nom nom nom nom

in the mors pot is a chorizo and pork in dry cider stew with root vegetables
in the zebra is just some water for the necessary tea/coffee

The Finished Stew and it tasted even better than it looks

The rest of the evening was spent smoking pipes, shooting the breeze and enjoying catching up
whilst watching the fire

We turned in around half midnight
Initially i slept quite well on top of the dutch blanket which i had doubled up to act as padding and with the lighter blanket on top of me, i awoke around 03:00 as i had got a bit cold and crawled into the dutch blanket bundling myself up nice and snug
Waking around half seven we got the fire going again and started the breakfast of bacon tortilla wraps and tea

we spent a leisurely time as neither of us had to be back at a specific time,
whilst mooching around the outskirts of my permission i noticed this on the leaves of a tree, not entirly sure what it was and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter?

after a while we packed up and headed back to mine.

refelctions on the traditional kit-
i strayed and added the mors pot and the tatonka cook set, there was meant to be a third person coming and he was bringing his cast iron cookware however circumstances meant he couldnt make it so to cook the food i needed more stuff, i think i will add the mors pot to the usual load out, the ten cm zebra whilst enough to brew up doesnt really have enough space for decent sized meal cooking
i NEED some sort of padding from the floor, i should of made space somewhere to include at lest a CCF roll mat its tuesday now and i am still aching (sign i'm getting on a bit i know) i dont have much leaf litter at the permission nor do i have pine so those two traditional cushioning items are not available.
Finally the two small canvas tarps i had do not offer much living space. i think in future i shall take my big canvas tarp
other than that quite happy with the kit load out,
Thanks for looking

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks like a pleasant little camp :)
As to beds - I had the same problem when I tried to make an insulation bed on a site with no leaf-litter or pine and ended up making one from ivy and other stuff inc Fireweed.
Not very warm (too green) bet it did offer some padding.
Cozy.jpg1 Frame to stop insulation drifting.jpg2 Ivy insulation.jpg3 Fireweed topping.jpg

TheNative

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
The Frontier
www.youtube.com
Great stuff mate!! I did a few nights out the weekend just passed with my traditional sleep system, and was amazed how comfortable I was without a roll matt, probably different for the individual but I was fine! Should be doing the Boone challenge with all the kit some point during this month

Great stuff mate!! I did a few nights out the weekend just passed with my traditional sleep system, and was amazed how comfortable I was without a roll matt, probably different for the individual but I was fine! Should be doing the Boone challenge with all the kit some point during this month
Younger Bones maybe mate?
look forward to the write up

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like great night out, pity it's a bit of a no go on the lavvu halfs. Might not be too bad with the Czech bed roll as they're a little waterproof?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Tea from the fresh tips too.
Believe its the roots that's best eating aint it?

Added to stews or boiled like spuds for the roots, young shoots are eaten like asparagus, leaves as a green or as a tea, stalks pith to thicken soup or dried and ground as a flour.
All a bit bitter for my palate though...

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Look, I'm famous :)

Thanks for the great hosting and the invite in the first place

I liked the look of the Lavvu but its not the biggest of options. Needs more of a play to see if it can be pitched differently. I'd be interested to see the two buttoned together and see what cover it gives. But canvas is addictive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE