TerraCycle ???

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'd not heard of these folks before ~ http://www.terracycle.co.uk/en-UK/ . Looks interesting, there doesn't seem to be much said about them online and I'm loathe to sign up to something just to have a better look ~ a fair few big hitting companies are happy to have their names attached to the endeavour, so it's likely to be a long term and well backed business. So, from our end user perspective... Does it work? How does it work? Any down sides to the scheme?

All the usual disclaimers ~ no connections etc.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
They are only a few miles from me, but I have never heard of them or seen them. Their address is on a trading estate near Wembley.
TerraCycle UK.
Sabichi House, 5 Wadsworth Rd.
Perivale, Middlesex.
UB6 7JD

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
cant see any downside as you get money for a charity or school of your choice. Big upside for them as they identify where to make money from recycling and get you to collect their raw materials for them. Clever business model if you can generate sufficient interest.

Think i fancy making me a kenco backpack :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
:lmao:... small world. I drive past there every Saturday to a project I have just round the corner from them.

Like Colin though, I've never heard of or seen them

They are only a few miles from me, but I have never heard of them or seen them. Their address is on a trading estate near Wembley.
TerraCycle UK.
Sabichi House, 5 Wadsworth Rd.
Perivale, Middlesex.
UB6 7JD

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Looks like it's just starting to broaden its market then :dunno: . I only noticed them for the first time this morning, when I saw their emblem / logo on a branded item and had a look online.
I have to admit that I don't mind them profiting from any waste which might otherwise have ended up as landfill :approve:

Anyone dealing with them?

EDIT: In case folk have seen their branding but the name TerraCycle hasn't clicked, their logo is:

tumblr_lvl8l2FZsx1qc4gs0.gif

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Sorry to say its a scam, as that’s probably a bit harsh.

We bought a Tassimo and saw the link out recycling the pods. Given the huge landfill of these little plastic discs, I thought fantastic. Duly saved up a whole box full. Month’s worth of collecting. Its only when you sign up that you see the catches.

You cannot recycle. You have to setup a local hub and do the collecting for a group, not an individual. No problem I thought. Second catch. For Tassimo they have 200 places available only. Needles to say they are used already. So you can go on a waiting list if you like along with hundreds of other.

You also cannot mix the recycling options. You have to pick the brand, Tassimo, Kenko packets, etc and just collect them. Otherwise you have to register for each type.

My best disgruntled opinion is it’s a marketing stunt by the companies to say they recycle to tick a green box. However it’s not open to all and is very restrictive. I can only hope it’s a start-up position and it will be broadened as time goes on. Needless to say I full A4 paper box full of recycling ended up in landfill which really annoyed. I did email and after months got a one time offer to send this one box but with no charity donation. However it had gone by then.

If anyone else has better success id be interested to hear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE