Tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
Hi guys, only joined yesterday so this is my first post...
I'm looking to get back in to camping/trekking and as I've not really bought any kit for a about mumble years I want a new tent.
Usual specs - waterproof, comfortable, resilient, doesn't weigh an elephant, comapct when packed yet big enough to move in comfortably and of course that doesn't cost a small african country's national debt!
Look forward to the big debate over 'my brand is better than your brand'. :twisted:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Hi Jak!
Damn, that was terrible...
Welcome aboard the site! (Jakunen and I are friends with a shared interest in various outdoor activities)

I am very happy with my Jack Wolfskin Termite - a very nice piece of kit which I understand is unfortunately no-longer in production.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Welcome to the forum - they've all made me feel welcome here and I'm sure they will you too :-D

I've got a Storm Shield Xenon tent. It's not the best tent in the world but it's a cheap, roomy two-person, never let in a drip of water, well protected against bugs, packs down small(ish), weighs under 3kg, and is dead easy to put up. Plus it must be pretty robust as it didn't show any signs of damage after a small black bear wandered around inside it last summer :shock: it did smell pretty foul afterwards tho!

I also saw it on offer in Blacks the other day which annoyed me no-end :roll:

Cheers
Nick
ps I wasn't in the tent at the time!

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Happened twice actually, tho second time was just in the porch. Does that count? Got sniffed in the night a few times but mostly they just had fun trying to get my food & pans down from the line they were suspended from. Never stopped my heart-rate from going mental when I knew they were around, even after a few weeks of it!

No sh*t in the tent tho I reckon he might have stepped in a lot of it not long before!

J

JeremyH

Depends on what you want to use it for?
I have a bivi bag and tarp, Macpac Microlite, Saunders Jetpacker and Hilleberg Tunnel. All are FANTASTIC - but have specific uses.
Best alrounder seems to be a Golite Hex at the moment. Or if you can afford it - a Moskeltatan Arran or what ever it's called.
Good luck
JeremyH

jakunen

Native
For now, I just want something for the odd "Get me out of here - reality's getting too close" weekend type of thing. Just for disappearing to the New Forest or somewhere, in reasonable weather. I'm not going to be doing anything to extreme. Those days are long over...

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I second that Terra Nova Quasar. They are great tents if you can stretch to it. Ideal for 2 or 3 people sharing. A bit heavy if on your own. I have the smaller 2 man/single entrance version and it has lasted years.
Our freakiest night was when a rattle snake kept circling the tent, with us sat in the middle jibbering... :shock:
Cheers
Rich

jakunen

Native
Hmm, well having only just escaped having been 'womaned' for nearly two years :eek:T: I'm not sure exactly how far my shiney beads and tin toys will stretch.
And what is it with guys on this site! First bears now rattlers!!! :yikes:
Thats it I'm going home! I've just remembered it's my turn in the barrel!Nihee!!<Exit Blue Bottle stage right...>

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Why not have a look at the Kyham range.
Huge range of quick erect tents (up and useable in 20 seconds)at sensible prices, I have had one for years and no problems, our local camping shop sells them cheaper than anywere that I have found and they do mail order

www.camping-intl.com

:pack:

N

Nyogtha13

Hello,

I have had a Hilleberg Nallo GT for about 2 years now, i am very impressed with.
Very light weight and plenty of room for two plus gear with the vestibule, and quick to erect.
I've used it at scout camps, mountains in winter and camped on the west coast of ireland on sea cliffs.
Hope this helps,

Robin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE