Review: Bergans Morgedal Smock Anorak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

parker_knoll

May 18, 2015
London
I wanted to post a review of the popular Morgedal anorak. I've been wearing mine for about 18 months now and strangely, although it's a very imperfect garment in many ways, I keep coming back to it.

GOOD POINTS

Shape
It's longish, reaching mid thigh on me (6'1" wearing an XL), and long enough that when you sit you sit on the coat itself

Pockets
Both are really well sized, and the lower pocket reaches right across: e.g. although it has two openings it's not two pockets, it's one. I carried a hammer around in there the other day.

Zips
The zips have really big metal pull rings which I find easy to find and grab, including with gloves

Build and materials
The fabric is very soft to the touch and very flexible - you can easily ball this up and put it in a small backpack despite its size; and while the seams don't seem particularly heavy I've had no problems with the heavy use i give to the pockets, for example

Breathability
It's very light and breathable - I regularly cycle in it, and run when I have to. Run up a hill and you don't end up sweaty. In fact, it's so light it adds almost no extra insulation at all. As someone commented previously on the forum, it's a "cold" garment. It doesn't stop the wind much either - see below. Woodlore describe it as "Highly breathable", "Windproof" and "Retains body heat". I'd certainly agree with the former, not so sure about other two. The wind has a tendency to blow through it, so you need to make allowance for that underneath, especially if using out on the water as I sometimes do.

Chin protection: nice and soft, just high enough to cover the mouth

BAD POINTS

Waterproofing
It's made of Epic Cotton, apparently a fabric in which the threads are silicon or plastic coated before weaving. However, the waterproofing is light at best. Bergans describe it as "water repellant", Woodlore describe it as "highly water-repellent". Well, a twenty minutes in a decent shower and you are wet. It starts at the cuff and the neck and seeps along the seams. However, if you regard it as a light waterproof at best then it's fine. I often wear it when i need to be prepared for a bit of rain but I'm not expecting downpours. If you get a downpour you're better off sitting it out under a tree - this coat will not deal with that.

Hood
Three minuses for the hood:

1. lateral adjustment only. It has an elastic drawstring that runs sideways about midway up the hood. I don't see the point of this as it doesn't pull it up out of your line of sight like the more usual vertical adjuster would. I do get frustrated with this in situations where you need to turn your head and retain vision: cycling, driving a boat etc. It's so annoying that I may even add a vertical adjuster.

2. the hood is kind of cinched in at the neck and there's a seam right at where your neck ends (on a lot of garments it's further down). This is a bad design as the water collects at this point and then starts leaking right on this seam into your collar, and this is about the worst place you'd want water to leak.

3. When you have the neck done up to the top the hood is too tight to pull on and off; you have to undo the chin to do it. This is a faff and unnecessary.

One plus: it can pull down completely over your face. I like this for daytime kips.

No Side Zip
Doesn't have any side opening to ease putting on and taking off. Nearly all modern smocks do feature this small aid.

Warmth
As mentioned above, this coat really doesn't offer much insulation at all, doesn't really stop the wind and I'm not sure it evens retains body heat.

Other claims: Woodlore says "Fabric is anti-bacterial and provides protection from mosquitoes and UV rays" - this is not on Bergans own site and I can't testify to this. Obviously great if it's true.

CONCLUSION

So, there are some pretty big negatives on the Morgedal as a bit of outdoor wear: it's not really waterproof or windproof. I have to say I was pretty p*ssed off the first time I had to walk in decent rain in it and ended up soaked.

HOWEVER, this is what I'm currently wearing now it's a bit warmer, whether to ride my bike to the shops or chop wood. I just did a weekend in Switzerland, nothing hugely strenuous but conditions were unpredictable, and this is what I packed. I do own quite a lot of smocks in the traditional Norwegian fjallsikker shape (in fact I'm selling some, I'll put a listing up soon) and I really like the length and shape in general.

No garment is perfect - there's always a compromise. I wish it was more waterproof. I wish they would redesign the hood. BUT I like the weight, the feel, the shape, it's very comfortable, the pockets are perfect and I use it a lot, especially if there's going to be some exertion - did I mention chopping wood? Just don't expect it to handle heavy weather.

I know it's a popular piece around here. What do others think.

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Some stout young man did a review of this for Gun Mart:

http://www.gunmart.net/accessories_review/bergans_morgedal_anorak

My dislikes:

1. The colour is far too light and poorly described on the Woodlore website as no way is it khaki
2. Nasty soft metal zip pull rings. Would prefer chunkier zips with thick fabric or mock leather pull chords
3. Lack of vertical adjustment to hood
4. Use of black adjustment toggles. Would prefer matching subdued brown/green.

I found it to be acceptable in heavy rain and far better than even a lovingly maintained Paramo that has been regularly bathed in Nikwax. The Morgedal isn’t however designed for our oft’ damp woods and meadows but rather a much colder climate where snow is more prevalent than rain.

K

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

parker_knoll

May 18, 2015
London
Ah, i should have clarified that mine is navy (I'm an aquatic type) and so the black toggles etc. are not an issue. Funnily enough, I like the zip rings as i find tape/fabric harder to grab with wet numb fingers or gloves but horses for courses.

The gun mart review is fine but it doesn't seem like he used it much. Always good to base these things on longer experience

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Ah, i should have clarified that mine is navy (I'm an aquatic type) and so the black toggles etc. are not an issue. Funnily enough, I like the zip rings as i find tape/fabric harder to grab with wet numb fingers or gloves but horses for courses.

The gun mart review is fine but it doesn't seem like he used it much. Always good to base these things on longer experience

Very much so.

K

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have one which I have worn pretty much to death, I have had it modified to include pit zips for extra ventillation.

It's main drawback apart from lack of waterproofing is that the material frays too easily. I have added leather cuffs because they were frayed ragged, and I have removed the drawstrings because the material was developing small holes where it was rubbing.

Other than that it is a great piece of kit to throw on over a wooly pully and it is weatherproof enough, the pockets can hold a great deal, and I am not bothered about getting it mucky. I expect I shall be keeping mine until it literally falls to pieces.

Reactions: Toddy

parker_knoll

May 18, 2015
London
I have one which I have worn pretty much to death, I have had it modified to include pit zips for extra ventillation.

It's main drawback apart from lack of waterproofing is that the material frays too easily. I have added leather cuffs because they were frayed ragged, and I have removed the drawstrings because the material was developing small holes where it was rubbing.

Other than that it is a great piece of kit to throw on over a wooly pully and it is weatherproof enough, the pockets can hold a great deal, and I am not bothered about getting it mucky. I expect I shall be keeping mine until it literally falls to pieces.

Yes, it's strange that for a garment that is superficially quite flawed it's somehow very useful and kind of a friend, if occasionally a frustrating one :)

Basa

Jul 28, 2016
Melbourne
Hey chaps, Expat here living downunder for my sins. Actually I have worn mine now for 4 years during the winters mainly say May to October but often when trekking in NZ (Abel Tasman National Park, Milford Sound, Coromandel Nat Park) and obviously it chucks it down there seriously makes London look dry. Same can be said in Melbourne and cold with some Antarctic blasts (not as cold as Merseyside) but I have to say the jacket not only stays dry but with a t shirt and light fleece I am well warm and well protected. The hood is the worst part never gets used; have even thought about having a seamstress take it off fold back to a collar. The jacket has also seen trips to Vietnam, a Jungle trek in Thailand it has performed admirably and given its cotton base I don't sweat like I did in man made fabrics.

Now the punch line I have machine washed it say half a dozen times and I always use Nik Wax Cotton Proof and the water beads right up and two coats after the wash. After trips i slap another coat on. I don't have the issues you seem to be stating. Maybe there is a tip its quite reasonable in 4 years I have only used 2 bottles. Only thing I might change i bought red since I am trekking I want to be seen in an emergency, but I wish I had the Navy. Khaki looked a little light. The velcro has worked great on cuffs that is always an issue, toggles are brilliant keep my wool/possum beanie in one fingerless wool gloves from shetland in the other. I do come home every so often usually go to Scotland after having gotten angry in London and as a Londonder thats is hard to do but give me Scotland for the space and quite it does fine up there too and it goes a wee bit wet and cold there. For an anorak that cost me about AU$150 with shipping at the time I got it on sale bargain. I would buy another. I am 6' 2" and bought the XXL it has been great I am a big chap and the length is great keeps my old bum warm and plenty roomy for 3 layers t shirt, shirt, light sweater/fleece and kacket.

parker_knoll

May 18, 2015
London
that's a good tip with the Nik Wax, will try that.

That said, it seems the Morgedal is no longer available. There's a few alternatives, mainly in Ventile, but none in Epic as far as can see

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE