Tentipi problems?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
After a fair bit of research my wife and I decided to buy a Varrie Tentipi. So we rang up to order one, but the dealer said that Tentipi have recalled all their tents because of leaking seams! Apparently on some of their tents the wrong seam thread was used, but as they don't know on which models and for how long they were making them like this they've recalled everything just in case while they find out the details. Tentipi apparently have no idea how long this process will take and therefore when don't know when they can restock.

Bit of a bummer as we wanted to use it in a couple of weeks, but more importantly we have a big trip in late September that I'm not sure we'll have a tent for!

Anyone else heard this?

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
:yikes: I hadn't heard that, but it would be a complete nightmare - I've been planning this purchase for about 2.5 years and then to finally get the money together and be told I can't have one! :banghead:
Say it aint so

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I suspect they will waste no time in getting the new, correctly stitched ones out to market, a re-call like that must be very costly!

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi all
I have just spoken with Casper from "light my fire" about this problem, he say's yes they have recalled some of the tipi's.
The problem (seams) to be leaky seams, it appears that the people stiching them up used polyester thread and not poly-cotton, the difference is poly-cotton expands when it gets wet and seals up the stitch holes and poly thread does not.
This was noticed last friday and may be on a lot of kata's made this year, so if your's is last years model or earlier they should be alright.
3 fixes seem to be inplace 1) return it and they will re-proof it for free. 2) they will send you some proper re-proofer for free and you can paint it on yourself. 3) you can get a refund, I was told about the refund from stunning tents, I rang several places about the problem and the all said about the same thing.
Also any new tipi's coming into stock from now should be ok.
I hope this helps some people out ther because I have a Varrie that I bought about 2 years ago and it is brill.
(Have fun shoot a stick)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Thanks so much for the info, stickbow. I had gone round to see the tipis at Stunning Tents on the Thursday and rang up to order on the Monday and in the meantime all hell had broken loose. Did Caspar give any indication as to when Tentipi will be able to restock? I'm sure it'll be asap, but I wonder whether it'll be before my holiday...

I'll keep in touch with Stunning Tents every so often but any more news from other sources is always welcome...

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Funnily enough I was sitting in my tentipi vagge in pouring rain last week and noticed the seams were leaking when the rainfall was at its heaviest. Don't know if mine, which is about 15 months old, is one of the affected or if the seams just need re-sealing. I've heard nothing from Tentipi about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE