Tentipi needs a inner tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mittenz

Jul 10, 2008
London
I am thinking about getting a tentipi Safir 5 cp (formerly Varrie) but i am worried about mosquitos and midges and ants so i was considering getting an inner tent as well although i know it is very costly :(
I was tempted to buy Zirkon 5 (formerly Nibba) but when camping in the greenery i think it will stand out to much as it is red/orange.

I was just wondering if anyone else uses an inner tent with there Safir (formerly Varrie) and also if you don't think i need one let me know i need as much advice as possible as it is a big investment.

Anyway any info will be gratfully received.

Mittenz

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
midges and mossies are often worse in the areas these tents come from but the smoke keeps them a bay. unless you are there for a while, are on top of a mound or have lax camp discipline then ants shouldn't be much of a bother either.

you can allways use a nomal singlepoint mossie net inside for when you are sleeping.

mittenz

Jul 10, 2008
London
using a mossie net is a good idea thanks, i am just always paranoid about ants lol had a bad experience while visiting family in Norway (not in a tent) i was surrounded by loads of red wood ants :( not a nice experience. As for mossies well i think i am a fine wine to them! They love my blood.

Jul 8, 2008
Borders
just a word of caution. if u get an inner for a V5 there will be even less room inside and it IS small.
i made the the mistake of getting a 5 over a 7 and am regretting a little as its a costly mistake.
anyway i stuck an 8 inch log under the central pole and have got loads more room and intend to do a little DIY to get it almost up to the size of a 7 and still keep it stable, its going to look a little wierd but i dont care.
if u don't have a fire, the midges'll get u and so will the ants, specially if there is food around. i don't have an inner but am prepared to put up with the crawlies if there are any.
my advice would be to go the £150 or so for a Varrie7 and get an inner if you're paranoid about insects.

anyway be mega sure about the size thats all i can say.

Mike Benis

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2008
England
Even if you do get an inner, remember that there will be the zips in the floor and the little "hole" in the middle where the pole goes. That's to say if you're totally paranoid you may feel worried that you can't seal the thing up completely.

I've not found much of a problem with flying insects. Ants are more a matter of not leaving food lying around. On the other hand, the tentipis simply can't cope with standing water so can't compete with a normal sewn-in groundsheet. That's only likely to be a problem in real downpours on badly-drained campsites where you don't have any choice of pitch.

hth

MIke (who doesn't bother with an inner on the polycotton Varries, which are also much cooler than the nylon ones).

mittenz

Jul 10, 2008
London
Thanks for the advice luckly for me there was a mix up with my order and i got offered a Safir 7 cp (formerly Varrie) with a discount YAY! i jumped at the offer and i got a discount on the floor (which i decided to go with as i will be careful not to leave food around as to not attract ants) I had seen a few people on here as well as you ground elder had bought a tentipi (varrie or other) in size 5 and wished they had got the size 7.

Mike Benis i hadn't really thought about the fact that where the pole goes down there would be a gap or if i opened up the floor of the inner tent the ants could get in so i guess i have to be brave :) and accept that while in nature i will see bugs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE