Tent Stove-How To?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
thanks for that chas, is a good idea. But i need something that i can use in a tent. Do people think a pair of candle lanterns would actually be enough to heat the tent significantly?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What tent is is, I thought it was the Polish army job for some reason?

For the UK winter temps, if you have a small tent, good cloths, sleeping bag you don't need a heater. Wood stoves are OK, but need attention during the night really, so what size tent have you?

PS sorry Hoodoo, they (candles) will make a difference in tents depending upon size.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Yes it's the small two man polish army one..by candle lantern...do you just mean something like this,

Antique_Candle_Lantern_ir15311.jpg

My mum has two that are pretty much identical to that. Would both of them be ok and provide significant heat?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Youlll be suprised at how much a candle will make in a small tent.....a tilley of course would be even better....?!?
dave

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Dont forget these fellas

http://candlelantern.com/original.html

Ive got a small cheaper one that takes a tee light, but the supplier has stopped selling them, they were around £6 each, and very light. Garden centres and supermarkets sell smallish ones cheap, normall square shaped but do the job.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
yes the ones I have (see pic) they take tee lights...they dont give off much heat though do they :(

Ive one like yours and it takes 3 t-lights.
Suppising how it can raise the temp inside a tent when the doors done up. There will be gaps for some air movement in the shelter which is a good thing.
Decent bivi, sleeping bag, clothing and a belly full of warm grub and you'll be fine.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Right, it arrived bright and early this morning!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D already had a play around in the garden. Especially when it got dark, thats when the real testing began. I got those Candle lanterns out and tried with a few different candles first T lights...which didnt seem to do much and weren't very bright :( then I stole one of the candles from an ornament...had to be done, was in the name of science! This seemed to give a noticeable effect, after about 10 minutes the tent was considerably warmer:) so, i've decided to scrap the whole idea of a stove...realise now how stupid it was and now my question is, which type of candle would be best for both heat and light? I've had a quick look on the ikea website and they have about 40 different types of candles!

Thanks in advance

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Try get or make a candle with a few wicks to give out more heat an light or you could use a cardboard and wax stove but I would be afraid about carbon monoxide poisoning!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
right well the cardboard and wax stove is out the question then :p don't really fancy getting CO poisoning! so just any candle that has more than one wick in it..ok. Well just as a back up, whats the best single wick candle to get....bearing in mind it has to fit into that little candle lantern shown on the previous page.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
The company that was linked perviously for candle lanterns sell 9 hour candles which are just regular candles that are about 5in tall i think and are as thick as a tealight!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm planning on using my Feurhand for light and a bit of warmth.

Worth a look Jordan, you can pick them up fairly cheap on ebay.
Don't bother with the cheapy £5 ones though as they're not as good imho.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Would definitely consider one of those....I have another question.....*everybody sighs* :p

Since there is no groundsheet there is an obvious need for a Bivvi bag...however...i was wondering...is there any alternative? perhaps something as simple as putting a tarp on the floor, camping mat on top and then get in a sleeping bag...or am I being silly here? Just trying to save the pennies :puppy_dog and use what I already own.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Would definitely consider one of those....I have another question.....*everybody sighs* :p

Since there is no groundsheet there is an obvious need for a Bivvi bag...however...i was wondering...is there any alternative? perhaps something as simple as putting a tarp on the floor, camping mat on top and then get in a sleeping bag...or am I being silly here? Just trying to save the pennies :puppy_dog and use what I already own.

Nowt wrong with that set up.
A bivi would be warmer and you could use it in many other situations though.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
What are your thoughts on the shelter Addo? Had a good mess about yet?

Bit worried about getting things mixed up though. Original thread was about a heater.

Apologies.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Yes sorry, it seems i've gone off topic a bit...consider this thread closed and if i have any further questions; I'll post somewhere else.

Thanks for the help and information everyone :D :You_Rock_

Jordan

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
I made this one (and others) using vegetable oil cans (25l) from the local Indian restaurant together with some 1mm steel sheet and 16mm square tubing.

DSCN5502.jpg

DSCN5503A.jpg

DSCN5515.jpg

DSCN5505A.jpg

Stripping the paint off was a bit of a pain but worth it. It took 10 cans to make the one above.

Cheers

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE