Tent Stove-How To?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I have just bought a tipi style tent, and I'm thinking of making a portable stove for it....only problem is, I have no idea how! anyone give me the know how? or link me to a good step by step guide to making one?

Thanks

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
haha, yes but I dont really fancy paying the £150+ :AR15firin :yuck:

This tent is that 2-man polish army one that is in the "kit chatter" forums. So the stove would be pretty small since it would only have to heat that. So is there any easy and cheap way I can make one and how do I do the chimney?

Or any other ideas you have now that you know what tent it is, I'd be very happy to hear :D

Thanks

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
just watched second link, the smoke seems to be coming out everywhere not just the chimney. I could still try something like this but wouldn't my tent get smoked out?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Might aswell give this a go first of all. Does anyone have a small homemade stove they threw together as a little play around and no longer wants it?

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I'd say if you were to put hinges on the door and seal the stove up and use a wider chimney you would have an effective little stove!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
It wouldn't need to cook anything, I'd only use it to heat the tipi up so it only has to be small so this might be worth having a go just using little tins or cans. I've got an old thin metal, square, tin storage, thing. (excuse the poor description) looks something like this:

gunbox1.jpg

Think I could turn that into a stove? just put some old pipe in it as a chimney?

also, would ANY metal pipe do as a chimney? just aslong as it has a decent enough diameter.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I'm not too sure if that would work....the dimensions are kind of wrong like it should be thicker and more box like! You could try like a large popcorn tin...

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
That's a good point actually, I've got a couple of small candle lanterns that would be perfect...why did I not think of that.

Saved me some time and effort there Rik

Cheers

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If you can find it, I'd pick up a copy of Ole Wik's "Wood Stoves, How to Make and Use Them." He'll show you how to rivet one together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE