Tent stove held a fire for 18 hours

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I loaded up my "Fourdog" steel stove before I went to sleep, and closed the air intake most of the way since it wasn't too cold. The next morning, I closed the intake all the way and went hunting until after dark. When I came back, there were still coals. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. The wood was oak and maple. The stove doesn't have a damper.

IMG_1713.jpg

Last edited:

pwb

That's pretty impressive .
I see it's got a rope seal on the door ,must close down well and that's with that diameter of chimney and no damper.
I wonder if it did have a damper fitted would it perhaps last longer or maybe just go out.

Looks a great set up.

Pete.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Ive never seen an egyptian cotton tent 'in the flesh'.

Are they as good as they say?

What's it like in heavy rain?

I have three of them now. Expensive, but worth it. Half the weight of regular canvas, they let sunlight and moonlight glow through in a cheery way. In a heavy rain, they soak up some water, swell, and become water-tight. Some of the needle holes in the seams will let an occasional drop in, and some comes in at the stove jack. If it's cool enough for the stove to be going, things stay very dry. I've never had a condensation problem. It's gotten so I can't stand sleeping in a nylon tent. They always feel damp and I don't even like the smell.

http://oblio13.blogspot.com/2008/03/thoughts-on-tents.html

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Nice looking set up there mate, kind of makes me want to go for an overnighter just now, but i do have to wonder how the cotton would stand up to a weekend of Scottish weather, your small drip at the seams would probably be more waterfall looking to me!!

Anyway nice photos and i sure am jealous of your cool set up

all the best Col...

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Wow, that is a damn nice tent!
i'll have to keep an eye out for one, any thoughts on torrential downpours? have you waterproofed it at all?
whats the overall weight.

i realise initially the thread started out as an impressive stove burning point but you've made us all gawk at your loverly tent! hehe

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
... any thoughts on torrential downpours? have you waterproofed it at all? whats the overall weight....

I've been fine in a few downpours, biggest problem is that the door is not vertical, so every time you go in or out, rain comes in. Waterproofing not necessary, the material's been treated for water repellency (as well as fire and mildew). It weighs 17 pounds on my bathroom scale, not sure how accurate that is.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Thanks for the pictures, I'm impressed mate. I'll bet that set up is ace in sub zero conditions. Whats the coldest temp you've used them in?

Regards, Mart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE