Tent pegs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ekdog

Dec 13, 2009
Seville, Spain
I often camp on hard soil and the pegs that came with my tent are in bad shape. I'm looking for some light, high-quality pegs that will hold up to hammering. Any suggestions?

I've seen some that have a cord attached to them for easier removal. This seems like a good feature.

I live in Spain, so I need a company that will ship abroad.

Thanks for your help.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Totally agree with gordonmac - the Alpkit Spikes are the best I've used for hard ground - virtually bombproof. A good company too, free next day delivery. Cheers

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
alpkit.com
backpackinglight.co.uk
and Vargo are all worth looking at. The first two ship overseas and sell Titanium pegs of all types. The second make them over in USA but also ship worldwide. BPL-UK also sell Vargo pegs IIRC.

You can get various types of pegs. In Ti you might get away with simple hook ended ones as they are thinner and stronger. IME they tend to push in between any rocks without getting stuck as much as the thicker alloy pegs. They are a lot stiffer and stronger all round. If they will be ok they are also the cheapest generally. All of the above sell Ti nails or stiffer and stronger pegs than the Ti hook ended ones. You can also get nails from several other manufacturers from Hilleberg to Terra Nova to ALpkit to Vargo to... These range from those with the head on them with a hole in and some cord for easier removal. These are very strong. However you can also get a type of tent pegs that are more like rock pitons. I think Alpkit and Vargo do them. They will be good for actually pitching on rock as they can be hammered into cracks.

I hope that helps. There are many options depending on how bad the ground really is that you tend to camp on.

Just checked: -
Alpkit - Alloy nail/spikes (as described above), Ti angles, alloy three sided Y spikes.
BPL-UK - Ti hook pegs and v pegs
Vargo Outdoors - TI hook pegs, Ti Nail pegs in two grades, Ti Y spikes and Ti crevice spike peg.
All tough options for you.

Ekdog

Dec 13, 2009
Seville, Spain
Wow! This forum is a treasure trove of information. I'm checking into all of the options mentioned. Thanks to all.

One question: Do you tend to carry a variety of pegs with you so as to be able to deal with different kinds of surfaces?

Last edited:

Ekdog

Dec 13, 2009
Seville, Spain
Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. I ended up ordering a variety of pegs from Vargo. The service was excellent. I'll definitely be doing business with them again.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I only carry Ti crook pegs. I find if they are pulling out a bit then cross one across it. I've also tried putting them into the ground so they cross at about 90 degrees where the guy goes. Not sure if this really helps much but so far it has been enough for the terrain I pitch on. Can't go wrong with Vargo pegs. Good Titanium pegs.

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Sorry to have seen this thread too late, but I too often camp in hard ground areas.

Many of the titanium stakes mentioned below are what I would describe as average ground pegs, with 'V' shaped pegs being better for soft ground. 'Y' shaped pegs are good for average to soft ground too, but these pegs are much much stronger than any stakes: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/5-hard-ground-pegs-3247886/

They are aluminium, but have a nice square section so they resist twisting. They are actually designed for hard ground, so it is just as well they work lol.
Although the ones shown are sold by Decathlon (so are easy to get from Spain), they are also sold under many brands in differing shops.

Here is a pic of one of the decathlon hard ground pegs for comparison to titanium stakes etc.

tentpegchart1.jpg

The decathlon peg is peg 'H' in this pic.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I found one of those square MSR pegs on a campsite in the Alps this summer, any idea if they're still available to buy anywhere Ray ?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I found one of those square MSR pegs on a campsite in the Alps this summer, any idea if they're still available to buy anywhere Ray ?

The wife got a Coleman (I think) lightweight one-man tent a couple of months ago from Yeoman and it had that style of peg with it, they look good but she hasn't used it yet because of all the strikes in France...

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
As ged said, they come with some Coleman tents, but are also available from Decathlon shops.

The one in the pic is an MSR one, but they are all the same, but with some having a brand stamped into them.
Complete outdoors have them too, amongst loads of others lol:
http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/MSR-Needle-Stakes-(Pack-of-8)

That link isn't working properly, and you will need to enter a search for 'msr needle stake' once you are there.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
hi
I have tried the msr pegs and also the Lightwave Lightning tent pegs in the same ground..the msr pegs have slight bends..the lightwave pegs are much better imho [i think msr copied the lightwave pegs]..you can buy then in a pack of six and they work out cheaper than the msr..i changed my pegs to Lightning last year..and would recommend them for hard ground
you can see them here

http://www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/Product_Catalogue_Tent_Accessories_39.html

but the best deal on them is here..with free p&p

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6537

no affiliation to companies
Regards
Stu

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
hoppinmad

I have to agree that the lightwave pegs are very good, but suggested the 'MSR' type ones, as they are for sale in Decathlon shops, so they will be easier to buy for the OP in Spain (plus are cheaper than the lightwave pegs, at £4.99 for five).

Out of interest, do you also have a lightwave tent and if so, which one? lightwave gear is very good IMHO, and I am always keen to hear other folks views on it. :)

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I use some simple 8" nails from my local hardware store, not superlight but bombproof and so cheap you can loose a few with no worries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE