Tent opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
2.9 Kilo is pretty lardy for a backpacking tent. First thing I would do if you get it is remove the steel pegs and replace them with alloy ones (that'll save you about 0.8 kilo's for about a fiver, but there's lighter tents out there for similar money.

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
Had a very similar eurohike one for years I found it to be reasonably bombproof and stable. It pitched outer first with two diagonally crossed poles which made it freestanding (but prone to blow away in the wind if not secured with the two rear pegs) I could put up the outer alone for extended lunch stops in bad weather and for the money had absolutely no complaints. This looks very similar and a good choice for a first tent.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The 'Pro Action 1' (Tigerpaws) tent is a good cheap tent and has a loyal following.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/searchtext%3ETENT.htm

The first ones sold by Argos were sold for £35 and were later discounted down to £15 and ulitimately £5. They were also an olive colour (rather than the lurid orange of the latest). They sometimes come up on ebay.

They're a pretty tough tent - I've camped at around 4000ft at the Wells of Dee with mine! At 2.1Kg it's still pretty heavy for backpacking, and I now use a Laserlite at half the weight.

Jim

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a North Face Mountain Marathon tent which is a great one man affair. It comes in at around 1.5kg and packs down really small if you take out the poles and slide them in your pack vertically.
It's about 5 years old now but you might be able to pick one up on ebay etc.

Worth a look anyway

EDIT:

Review here if you're interested

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
I got one of these from fleabay and I'm happy with it. I think Gelert do a one man version of the mongoose that a quick search might find.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mongoose-2-te...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Here it is up in the garden.

firstsamsung007.jpg

It's not the lightest tent but it's well made and roomy.

PS Those shed doors make the tent look huge! It's the kids playhouse and the doors are 3' tall!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Looking for something like this myself, i will use mine on commercial sites, so i could have slightly better security, if the pub calls..

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Looking for something like this myself, i will use mine on commercial sites, so i could have slightly better security, if the pub calls..

For camping out of the back of a car on commercial sites, it's difficult to beat the Khyam range of quick errect tents. I have the Highlander and it's great after 8 hours driving not to have to spend ages fiddling around erecting a tent. (BTW, don't get the Highlander - go for the Igloo which is the same but has a porch at both ends.)

Jim

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The 'Pro Action 1' (Tigerpaws) tent is a good cheap tent and has a loyal following.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3400779/Trail/searchtext>TENT.htm

The first ones sold by Argos were sold for £35 and were later discounted down to £15 and ulitimately £5. They were also an olive colour (rather than the lurid orange of the latest). They sometimes come up on ebay.

They're a pretty tough tent - I've camped at around 4000ft at the Wells of Dee with mine! At 2.1Kg it's still pretty heavy for backpacking, and I now use a Laserlite at half the weight.

Jim

Good tent I picked up several for about £9 each off Amazon. Great value for money, pack small, will take rain and wind, whats not to like.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Thanks all, some ideas to be going with there. My missus has complicated things a bit by wanting me to get one big enough for both of us, but there are worse things than being wanted.

PropThePolecat

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2009
Mainland Europe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE