Tent not so waterproof.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Nope not silicone

Silicone for sil nylon

Pu for polyurethane

Pu works slightly for pvc

If you mix themy they fall apart without sticking

https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/DIY_RNCSeams.htm

Here's me thinking Silicon is silicon like dowcornings rtv? so all silicons are not the same, so all the more reason for me to get specifically made for the job seam sealer...

It could just be that rain is getting past those two umbrellas?
:D

That the inner was dry is interesting ;) With the fly being universally wet and the inner dry perhaps the tent's not actually leaking but has a condensation issue instead? Reproofing this one might make water condensate bead to run off instead of wetting out and relying on a capilliary action to shed water ?[FONT=Roboto-Light, HelveticaNeue-Light, HelveticaNeue, sans-serif-light, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT] :dunno:

Good thinking with the rubber bands, I have ordered some new umbrellas from eBay though hoping they are right size.

yea strange indeed two same design tents same conditions two totally different issues,

The larger of the two tents Id say its most likely a seam failure there wasn't a great deal of water ingress & it seemed to be localized or possibly an umbrella issue but would have imagined less water ingress with the latter (ether either or both)

The smaller tent..... catastrophic water ingress, nightmare proportions, even though the water was still beading up on the outside of the fly is it possibly just a total failure of the integrity of the fly that was to blame?

Universally wet & running down the inside of the fly but not dripping off the ridge pole or fly, hens a dry inner, It seemed too wet to be just a condensation issue & I would have expected this to be mirrored in the other tent as well, given that the design of the two tents & the conditions were both identical?

The wee tent before pitching had been a bit smelly with damp, so I had Hand washed the inner in the bath with a little washing powder & pitched it wet & allowed to totally air dry in the hot sun for a good 4 hours or so....

I had considered doing the same with the fly but although packed together it didn't seem quite "as smelly" So opted just to air the fly on the clothes line while the inner was drying.... after reading on here how washing a fly can be fatal, I was glad that I hadn't washed it.
If I had washed the fly.... I would have blamed this for the wee tents issues.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE