tent light

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I plan to spend a fair time under canvas over the coming weeks and with the nights drawing in I'm considering what would be the best light to use.
It is a big space to light so I'm thinking beyond the standard led camping lantern to something which can put out a brighter light with minimum fuss/cost.

Any suggestions please??

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'm puzzled why they make tent lanterns the wrong way up. When yo have a reservoir of liquid fuel and a flame, that puts limitations on what can be done and the simplest solution is to put the fuel at the bottom. When you have electric lights then it seems daft to produce a lamp that looks like a liquid fuel lantern with the batteries in a big lump at the bottom blocking the light especially given the shape of most tent roofs that will just accentuate that problem if you hang the lamp up. It's almost impossible to find a better designed lamp though.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Tents are great for lighting, recent thread showed off a lot of varying opinions.
Find something, try it in your tent at home, before discovering on your first night out.

Head torches are great for focused beams?, tesco sell Summit Collapsible Camping Lantern which looks good. Yet rolson do a nice range, of circle + rectangle that have a hook attachment built in.
I like the rolson circle yet my alpkit head torch also does great service.

Hope this helps

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Not so easy to get hold of this time of year. But I have a string of 10 white led christmas lights. Uses 2 aa batteries, lasts for ages, no worries about CO build up, and lit up my bell tent nicely at the moot this year. The best thing is I got them from poundland in January. You can take the plastic star covers off...

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
I have a family trailer tent which is 4m x 6m so a large area. I've had all sorts of lights in it, both mains, 12v battery and disposable battery operated. I have various tube and LED type latern ones but to be honest I'm not too impressed with them for the reasosn stated above. The base of the latern shields the light, They only really work well on a table shining light up the way. I have a good led strip light but its powered off the 12v battery and solar charger which I doubt you'll be taking on your camping trip. The ones we use now and find far better than others are from Aldi and lidl. They are AAA powered LED light bulb clones. they have a small clip at the base you can hang from the tent roof. I have 4 which is more than enough light for our trailer tent.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Highlande...8050503?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item2a3f258747 A quick search found these on ebay. This is the type but I'm sure the aldi and lidl ones were cheaper.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That looks interesting, thanks Julia.

I could just get several camping lanterns but it would be good to find something that kicks out a lot of light.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That looks interesting, thanks Julia.

I could just get several camping lanterns but it would be good to find something that kicks out a lot of light.

I would personally suggest that you will get better results from lots of small lights than one big light.

The bigger the light, the bigger the shadows. You will also find that it screws with your night vision to have it one big bright light.

Julia

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
These are the best family camping lights you can get....they look cheap and nasty ( they are cheap) but they are amazing lights. You can hang them, tie them or use the magnets on the back to hold them and they are bright enough to light up an entire camp area (I used one at a bushcraft meet and had to turn it off as it was too bright for bushy ambiance lol).

They are about 4" in diameter and I'd say just less than an inch thick so dead easy to slip into a pack.

They don't look great but they are the best lights for the price I know of :)

Hope that helps :)

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/113710-eurohike-48-led-light.html

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have a variety of tent lighting solutions, but if I need a lot of light (and some heat too in winter) then a Coleman lantern (or paraffin equivalent) is hard to beat. Initial cost may be slightly higher but running costs are so cheap as to quickly outweigh that. Plus that reassuring hiss is lovely when there's a hooly battering rain against the canvas.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have a variety of tent lighting solutions, but if I need a lot of light (and some heat too in winter) then a Coleman lantern (or paraffin equivalent) is hard to beat. Initial cost may be slightly higher but running costs are so cheap as to quickly outweigh that. Plus that reassuring hiss is lovely when there's a hooly battering rain against the canvas.

What he said :) but when I was using a Golite Hex 3 a little 3AAA torch worked, in bigger tents http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9275070.htm work very very well and are frugal on batteries.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
These are the best family camping lights you can get....they look cheap and nasty ( they are cheap) but they are amazing lights. You can hang them, tie them or use the magnets on the back to hold them and they are bright enough to light up an entire camp area (I used one at a bushcraft meet and had to turn it off as it was too bright for bushy ambiance lol).

They are about 4" in diameter and I'd say just less than an inch thick so dead easy to slip into a pack.

They don't look great but they are the best lights for the price I know of :)

Hope that helps :)

http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/113710-eurohike-48-led-light.html

Saw one of those in Millets today. Maybe it is the answer..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE