Tent investment, please help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 30, 2009
Kettering
Howdy,

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have...

Our last tent a pop up tent was consumed by the mud at last years bestival, so were buying a new one. We will be using it on numerous occasions this year so we want a good quality one that can be put up/ taken down lots with out an issue. It will be for me and my girlfriend and either our dog or a third person. Our first trip is to snowdonia in may, and we will be out every other weekend leading up to a 17 day lap of the alps where we will be only staying at one sot for a maximum of 2 nights.

I will be buying a tarp at http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/tarp-3243880/

And im torn between a:
http://soulpad.co.uk/sanctuary/comp...facturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

And:

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/cg...RL=http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/

Swaying on the side of the bell tent... if and one has an other products they could recommend or any thoughts on my shortlist please let me know!

Cheers!

Jack

Jack, how are you going to carry these? The Soulpad tent is over 15kg! Seriously heavy gear for 2 people. Maybe the weight isn't an issue if you are car camping, but if you intend to carry this weight you are going to be burst pretty damn quick.

Maybe give us a few more details of your expected usage?

Jan 30, 2009
Kettering
We will be based from our car as the base, so im not too bothered about the size/ weight. We would like to stand up really, so that puts the vango second place... easy put up matters though.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
To add to what Hedgepig said, not only is the bell tent heavy, its also bulky. So while not especially difficult to pitch and take down (not that I have pitched this particular bell tent) its just that bit more hard work than the Force 10 would be.

If you are moving every 3rd night, I would be tempted to go with the Force 10.

Having said that, the Force 10 will feel much smaller than the bell tent and be a less pleasant "living" environment.

If you haven't already done so, I would make the effort to see both of these tents pitched and look at the packed size and weight. This could well make the decision for you.

Graham

numpty

Feb 7, 2009
mansfield
Hi . Weve just bought a soulpad 5000tribe tipi the build quallity is top notch . so id say there bell tent are just as good . the tribe has a sewn in ground sheet . not sure about the bell tents but id get 1 with sewn in ground sheet if your doing the festivals . it not allways possible to get the best bitch and with how the weather can be waking up or coming back to a tent with a river running through it is no fun !

The vangos are pretty much indistructable . so it depends on usage but id agree regards space . Vango with the tarpe would work well though . We went for the tipi so we could use a woodburner and its real easy to errect.
All so have a look at these greenoutdoor.co.uk they have a tipi that might suit your needs

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I like Colemans. The new ones look interesting, but have not seen them yet in the real world.

The local place does not even think about pitching them until March, so will have seen them at the Outdoor show with any luck.

It is always worth remembering to look at one in the real world. I have seen some two man tents, that I want to meet the two men. Mini-Me would not have fit.

I always say add one so if you want a 3 man, go look at the 4 man tents.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Vango Force 10 = Bombproof, but not enough height for what you require.

I use a North Face Mountain 25, again bombproof but again not enough height!

Have a look at Wild Country tents, now made by Terra Nova, I think they have some tents with more height but also are more likely to stay up in adverse weather.

IMHO your tent descision needs to be made on the weather conditions you are going to encounter.

If you have a good outdoor store near you they should be able to put them up for you indoors. This way you will see how easy the erection is:) space etc; Personally I would go for a good quality make, if you do have a problem there is usually less hassle getting it repaired/replaced.

Good luck and have fun!!

Jan 30, 2009
Kettering
I have a beautiful sunburst strat, usa...thats sitting in its case not being used, allot of sentimental value though so its a tough desision

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE