tent/cooker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Lucky boy. I recently acquired a Blacks/Edginton tent and really like it. Mine is the Mountain tent, which is smaller than yours, with an orange flysheet and inner, and without the extra porch you have. I think they are from the 60s/70s. Great quality workmanship and materials. Enjoy.:)

Can't tell you anything about the cooker although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to sort that out.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
tent looks like a good one although maybe not for backpacking! the cooker well its worth keeping in the barn or garage in case of power outage you need one of these
gas-cylinders_2094180b.jpg

and one of these regulators
highlander_gas_bottle_regulator_1.jpg

both easily and cheaply bought from local camping/caravaning store
Cheers Ed

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You don't need bottles that big Ed, smaller ones are available, great for a fixed/car camp but use propane not butane.

Both tent and stove are great, guessing 60's/70's but I'll ask a friend who has a lot of Blacks catalogues if he can date it.

Mar 14, 2012
uk
yeah sorry i didnt necessarily mean that size but i just the type not like this
26100.jpg

you probably can use that type but simpler and lasts longer to use the calor ones
and as for which gas i quite like a propane butane or iso-butane mix not sure if that got this in calor cylinders though?
Cheers Ed

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
You don't need bottles that big Ed, smaller ones are available, great for a fixed/car camp but use propane not butane.

Both tent and stove are great, guessing 60's/70's but I'll ask a friend who has a lot of Blacks catalogues if he can date it.

What's the rationale for Propane over butane Rik? I only ask as the calor site itself only offers butane as an option on it's "find the right cylinder for"--- "camping". I know Propane is better in cold weather, but is like to know if its worth me changing cylinders for family camping (I already have regulators as when I bought the stove I bought 3 quick change connectors and added a bit of hose and connector to a butane, propane and wee disposable cylinder regulator... Swap them about as needed for different available gas supplies)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just for cold weather, I have known big butane bottles with no output in cold weather. A hose and regulator can be had for only a few quid.

http://www.calor.co.uk/outdoor-living/calorlite/ Smaller and lighter and its propane. I need one of these myself...Martyn on the BB forum rates them highly.

I use Camping Gaz which is a propane/butane mix for the smaller canisters but butane for the big one (907) that I use with no problems - and more readily available on the continent (or was).

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Might well look at that although most cold weather camping I do I'll either be using the frontier stove and/ a Chinese multifuel burner.

Also, the butane one is smaller and I only have so much space in the back of the car ;)

Cheers Rik

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'll be honest, if (big if) I do any winter camping I'll be using one of these instead of the woodburner

$%28KGrHqJHJCIFC0NeSWs9BQwGbsbqr!~~60_35.JPG

I'm looking at a new winter tent and that would work well in it. Perfect if I'm on a one nighter, tent up, heater on and toasty in no time at all. I'd take the woodburner for three night or more trips. One or two other stove/heater options in mind too, more to come on those if they progress.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I'll be honest, if (big if) I do any winter camping I'll be using one of these instead of the woodburner

I'm looking at a new winter tent and that would work well in it. Perfect if I'm on a one nighter, tent up, heater on and toasty in no time at all. I'd take the woodburner for three night or more trips. One or two other stove/heater options in mind too, more to come on those if they progress.

Great for making toast and heating Brats on sticks. Not so great on your buffalo jacket as they kick out some heat. :(

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

No carbon monoxide risk? I have a catalytic one....

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Not much to go on, but judging by the condition of that tent label, I'd say your tent has been barely used. Providing the tent has been stored well you have a tent that looks like 'new. old stock'.
Back in the 70's I had the baby brother of your tent (a 'Wren' ?). It had a heavy duty, putty coloured, sewn in groundsheet, coupled with a cotton inner and a thick cotton flysheet and steel upright poles.

Not sure what happened to 'Black and Edington', but the remaining part 'Blacks of Greenock' is still going.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE