Tent and Therm-a-rest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Bunnerz said:
I mean just for like opening and closing, dont they have quite a bit bigger door? i was thinking that if the rain is blowing in the wrong direction you could have a very went sleep? even if it is only opened for a minute? :confused:

The door is about 45-50 cm meters wide. I won't get wetter then any other door.

Barblade

Dec 15, 2005
Lancashire, UK
I was in this position about 18 months ago and ended up going for a Thermarest (I opted for the expedition version which is a little more durable than the new consumer ones) - it was well worth the money and is almost as comfy as the (magickelly) hammock I use in the summer. Usually they only take a breath to start them inflating and they inflate up just enough to keep you insulted from the ground (about 2-3cm)

Tent-wise I went for the Vaude hogan - its a good durable 2 man 3-4 season tent, though like you it's a little snug for 2 people and I use it for stowing gear. It breathes pretty well, is front opening (The inner is zipped separately to the flysheet so no leakage) - but the best thing by far is the shock cord system. The first time I put the tent up took less than 10 minutes. Now I can strike the tent in around 2 mins and pack up in the same time - very useful when theres a downpour. It's a little on the heavy side (~2.8kg) but it's very well constructed and has stood up to some nasty downpours and fairly high winds without even using the guy lines. FYI gooutdoors.co.uk have a couple reduced from £190rrp to £95 - obviously other vendors are available though :p

Hope that helps
Barblade

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I'd use a small tent in combination with a tarp over the front door. A tarp is always useful to take with you anyway (might even be just your poncho).

As for sleeping mat, I use a regular foam mat. It's good enough for me, I just put some sweater under my head and something under my lower back and something under my feet to give me comfort... In an old scouts book I read they dig out pits for the shoulders and for the bottom to make it more comfortable. Though that was perhaps before they used floors in tents..
That Z-rest from thermarest definately looks good kit, might get one myself...

I see to often punctured sleeping mats that I don't want them, though I guess with care you can avoid it...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE