Tent, 2-3 person, lightweight, long

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Am looking for a new trekking tent. I'll try and describe what I'm looking for:

- lightweight (<3Kg preferable)
- for 2 persons + kit (3 person tent?)
- long length (I'm tall, so 230cm length is good)
- budget flexible, but <300€ is nice :)
- 3 season
- easy to pitch

Suggestions and help welcomed with thanks :)

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Well there is a pretty darn good tent for sale in the classifieds now which fits that bill albeit is a tad over 3KG. Not sure about shipping to Finland though. Take a look.

darrenh

Apr 20, 2010
new forest
jack wolfskin tents are great. I brought FJALLRAVEN AKKA and its not the best i wish i stuck with terra nova tents as the FJ condensates loads even if i open up all the vents.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Mayfly - thanks, but I think the tent in classifieds is sold already.

Imom - I know the store but I'm looking for a personal recommendation.

DarrenH - thanks I'll take a look.

I hunted high and low through the forum, but couldn't find something that exactly matched what I wanted. The reason that the budget is in the middle ground for a tent is simply that I need something that is well put together, and something that isn't likely to rip or fail when in Lapland. These are remote areas with population densities <2 people/Km2 (compared to say Cumbria which has 73/Km2), there's not too many houses to knock on the door when your tent has blown away :)

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Am looking for a new trekking tent. I'll try and describe what I'm looking for:

- lightweight (<3Kg preferable)
- for 2 persons + kit (3 person tent?)
- long length (I'm tall, so 230cm length is good)
- budget flexible, but <300&#8364; is nice :)
- 3 season
- easy to pitch

Suggestions and help welcomed with thanks :)

Hi Susi,

Hmmm been looking at tents all day long today
how about this http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Wild+Country/Duolite+Tourer+2008/1050/pc
good quality and a hugh porch for kit and cooking in wet weather, weight is good just a little shorter than you needed but not bad.

or this and i've had one of these for the last 10 years so i know they can take a battering from the weather and size is just enough.
http://www.springfield-camping.co.uk/Vaude/Tents/Hogan/1358/pc

Hope this helps

Last edited:

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Thanks Treetop. That cyclist's tent has am amazing amount of space! But no mesh door. But that other Vaude looks really close to what I was looking for. Many Thanks :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
A bit over your price, but may be worth looking at the Go-Lite Shrangli-la 5. 2.46kg 2.9m x 2.9m floor (outer), 1.8m high £355. quick to pitch and 3 seasons

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=370005110&mc=154&t=&lat=

BackpackingLight (they are members on BCUK) sell them http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product345.asp?PageID=126

The smaller version, the Shangrli-la 3 has an excellent reputation.

You can pitch it outer only to give a large single skin shelter, or with the nest (inner tent) to give a large midge free area. The nest can also be pitched on its own to give a midge free area if camping in a different tent.

Backpacking light sell an adaptor to let you fit two walking poles together to replace the central pole to reduce weight. The nest is all mesh so it gives no extra warmth, and several people with the smaller version have sewn their own solid material half sized inner tent for the winter. This gives a large porch and warmer inner.

Disadvantages are that the steep sides mean that the floor space at the edges of the tent is restricted in how usable it is. The steep sides also mean (as with all tipi designs) that when you open the door, rain falls into the inner. On one occasion vertical rain blew through the ventilation hood on the peak and rain dripped into the inner. I am told that this is an unusual occurrence ("never heard of that happening before" was the response when I raised it). Pitching is quick but, on balance, is more difficult than poles being fed through sleeves as it seems to take more tweaking to get the pitched tent set up "just right" . Having said that from bag to pitched (sufficient to get out of the rain), the Shrangri-la is probably faster, you just then spend longer, (after rain is stopped) tweaking it.

The quoted weight does not include the weight of guy lines or pegs for all the guying points, only the main pegging points.

There is a loop at the peak and two side loops that allow a light tarp to be clipped to the outer and extended over the entrance to protect the door and give a sheltered cooking area. They are not designed for this, but seem to be in the right places for the job. You can also unclip the nest from the outer at the door end and roll it back to give a large cooking area in bad weather. The front panels of the outer can also be unpegged to give a panoramic view while zipped up inside the no-see-um inner.

Although, I have just bought one, my experience with it so far is limited to the pitching it in my (very windy) Garden, and it is looking very good.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE