Tengu and the stupid end of the currency.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Now you know why there are no £2 coins in Breadalbane...

My Nesting box has a coin metre for electricity.

And I suspect I am paying through the nose. (No joke about Tengu noses please).

I assume that I could re-negotiate?

But of course, first I need to find the provider...

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
You'll be unlikely to be able to renegotiate the leccy rates, Tengu. I assume you're renting?

In the interim, make sure you're not drawing electricity when you don't need to. That basically means making sure all plugs are turned off when not in immediate use, not leaving lights on when not needed etc.

If you're heating is electric, buy blankets!

(Oh my lord, I sound like my grandma....)

• Haha
Reactions: gg012 and Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Only way you could renegotiate is to have a normal electricity meter fitted but that would only be possible if you have the landlords permission. It's highly likely you won't get it though as the landlord probably had the coin meter fitted so he doesn't get stuck with a massive bill when a tenant does a runner.

You could see if you could get it changed from coin operated to a pre paid key meter though which saves the need to have an endless supply of coins.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Who empties the meter? A friend of mine lived in a park home. Their electricity was sold to them by the site owner via a private meter. The site owner paid standard rates.

Non of which helps you @Tengu. Whatever is agreed with your landlord applies.

pee ess - don’t leave the telly on standby.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
You'll be unlikely to be able to renegotiate the leccy rates, Tengu. I assume you're renting?

In the interim, make sure you're not drawing electricity when you don't need to. That basically means making sure all plugs are turned off when not in immediate use, not leaving lights on when not needed etc.

If you're heating is electric, buy blankets!

(Oh my lord, I sound like my grandma....)
My mum used to switch all the sockets off, even ones with nothing plugged in, so the electric didn't leak out.

Sent from underground

Reactions: Toddy

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
It's all unfair in my opinion. If your renting you should be able to choose the best service for you, whether that's a coin meter/prepay/direct debit and the provider of your choosing. I'm not sure if your subject to a daily standing charge, so even if your not using anything there's still a fee to pay.
Do you know your cost per unit of electricity or daily charge if there is one?

I remeber going to a caravan holiday when I was young and there being a coin meter for the electric.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE