Tell Us About Your Trip!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Have you ever been on a trip and met other people who were very friendly? :D
Tell the rest of us about a trip where you met some nice people... :biggthump

Personally there has been many coincidences in my relatively short lifetime.
Every year when canoeing or hiking in Swedish wilderness, my dad and I ask the swedes to have 2 litres of water for our canteens and they can't wait to grab the canteens and fill em' up!! :biggthump Swedish people: :You_Rock_
They're also fresh for a talk too! :D Never really been hiking anywhere else than Sweden, so can't say anything about other countries... :) :wink:

Cheers

Hogan

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2004
Scotland
I recall a trip 20 years ago where I was near Ullapool and running out of petrol. I went into a village pub, and it was like a scene from "The Wicker Man" or one of those old wild west movies. As I entered, I could hear people talking, and then .... NOTHING....SILENCE. All eyes were on me as I walked to the bar and asked where I could get petrol. You could have cut the tension with a knife (there be a stranger in the village!!). I was told that if I went round to the cottages at the back of the 'closed' petrol station and knocked on the window, 'Jimmy' would come out and give me petrol.

I thanked the barman and as the door swung closed behind me, all the conversations started up again.

:yikes:

As it turned out, 'Jimmy' informed me that the reason every place in the village (except the pub) was closed was that there had been a funeral on Wednesday (this was now Friday).

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
1980 I went on a visit to Canada. Some remote place I know not the name. No roads just brown gravel tracks. Stayed in a cabin built on huge granite boulders right next to a huge lake. I seen a group of deer swim across that lake, also snappin turtles, racoons etc. I built a small pole lathe using an axe, and a flattened 6" nail as a chisel. Made 2 candlesticks. The bass fishing was un-be-liev-ab-le. I was persuaded to part with a lot of cash (tightwad again!! :roll: ) to buy a green frog floating lure. What a killer. Just plop it here and there under bushes, trees from a gliding canoe. You got such a rush from the fish cos you'd see a mini-wake as it homed in on the lure, then rolled over it to take it down. :eek:): Fresh bass steamed with little onions over a tin on a small hot fire, continental breakfast!!
The best was early one morning, drifting round, absorbing the silent cool ambience, when I hear a dog splashing in the reed shallows to one side of that lake. I carry on - ocasional paddle, drift, casting etc. next thing I look up from unhooking a bass to see a black bear about 20 feet away, sat up on a boulder. Oh man, incredible. What amazed me was my lack of fear (but then I was in a boat) We just looked intently at each other for several moments, then he or she turned away and scampered off. My hosts later told me they'd visited that cabin every year for almost 30 years and never seen a single bear. We all saw 3 more later that week including a mother and cub, and another eating brambles.
Special trips like that you don't forget.
Mr Dazzler :wave:

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
TheViking said:
Hi...

Have you ever been on a trip and met other people who were very friendly? :D
Tell the rest of us about a trip where you met some nice people... :biggthump

Personally there has been many coincidences in my relatively short lifetime.
Every year when canoeing or hiking in Swedish wilderness, my dad and I ask the swedes to have 2 litres of water for our canteens and they can't wait to grab the canteens and fill em' up!! :biggthump Swedish people: :You_Rock_
They're also fresh for a talk too! :D Never really been hiking anywhere else than Sweden, so can't say anything about other countries... :) :wink:

Cheers

Of course we are friendly, but I think the people in scotland bet us on that point. I have never got so much help from so many people.
The people in the surroundings of Nijmegen in Holland wonderful people who offers you so much just because you are a walking a march. If any of you are in the army take the chance to go the Nihmegen march, you will be stars in holland for 4 days and one of the best chances to pick up girls =)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Viking said:
If any of you are in the army take the chance to go the Nihmegen march, you will be stars in holland for 4 days and one of the best chances to pick up girls =)

Is there a better reason to be in the Army than the girls who like a man in uniform :) ?

Bill

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
People are friendly everywhere! :super: Take folks as you find them and let them know you are friendly,you will usually get back what you give out.
Been to China,Egypt,Jordan,Canada,Norway,Sweden,Finland,Denmark,Holland,France,Germany,Belgium and Switzerland and EVERYBODY was GREAT :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
BorderReiver said:
People are friendly everywhere! :super: Take folks as you find them and let them know you are friendly,you will usually get back what you give out.
Been to China,Egypt,Jordan,Canada,Norway,Sweden,Finland,Denmark,Holland,France,Germany,Belgium and Switzerland and EVERYBODY was GREAT :biggthump
Yes i know, but I haven't really been canoeing or hiking anywhere else than Sweden (yes, my own country :roll: ) And was looking at it from a bushcraft point of view. So I can't say that they are more friendly there or there. It's the same as with equipment: if you haven't tried it, you can't review it...... :wink: I also believe people are friendly where ever you go to the world. :biggthump But it wasn't really the 'overall topic'. Just to inform the others here about my experiences with the swedes. :) :wink:

Cheers :uu:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I was building a campfire by a lake somewhere north of Uppsala when a couple of Norwegians came over with a bottle red wine and 4 plastic cups for us to share. A fantastic night meeting new people watching the sun not quite set by a lake. First class

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE