Telescopic fishing rods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Thanks mate.

With regard to mackrel fishing, can someone explain to me the difference between a paternoster and hokkai rig?

Been reading up on mackrel fishing and these seem to pop up a lot, but all the diagrams I've looked at seem to show similar things for both of em.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Interesting thread this, been looking at having a pop at fishing for a while.

I'm not really interested in the sport of it to be honest, much more interested in some 'easy' well-tested ways of catching fish to eat.

Does anyone have any good links that provide good info for starters?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
dommyracer said:
Interesting thread this, been looking at having a pop at fishing for a while.

I'm not really interested in the sport of it to be honest, much more interested in some 'easy' well-tested ways of catching fish to eat.

Does anyone have any good links that provide good info for starters?

I'm much in the same position as you, never done it but intrested in doing so for the same reasons.

What I have found out, a little late but... It's National fishing week this week and there are free events organised, unfortunateley I can't make any of them but maybe you can, it looks like they've waved the rod licence requirements specifically for these events too.

Some details here http://www.nationalfishingweek.co.uk/home/

Find ones within specified distances of your postcode, or specific types of fishing here http://www.dreamstoreactive.org/events/super-search/

As your also London these are probably the most local ones for you
http://www.thames21.org.uk/news/augusttightlines2006.htm

Oh and seeing as this was the Telescopic rod thread, to get things back to topic of the Shimano mini, cheapest I found for the Shimano Exage TEXMTS270M £55 +£7 p&p
https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Spinning.html

Because of the fear that they might not be availble much longer and the philosophy that the best rod is the one you use most, I'm far more likely to travel with that than any other, I ordered one for myself late last night, along with a Nexave 1000ra reel ( including spare spool and 2 spools of Maxima line ) £29 +£5 p&p from http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/st50755

Could have got the Nexave a bit cheaper £24 +p&p here http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/st50755 but no spare spool or line included, so the above did seem a good deal.

Which hopefully I'll be trying out in Wales end of Sept as I'll be visiting my partners family there, one of who has won various types of fishing competions and is looking for an excuse to get an extra couple of days fishing in anyway. Plus he's bound to have lots of advice on hooks, lines etc and probably bulk spools of line that I can get enough for a couple of reels of off of him cheaper than buying for myself. Result, apart from my girlfriend is a veggie who can't stand the smell of fish.

Plan for my own fishing trips later is to get a decent telescope and combine a "camp out" with a couple of hours fishing and a couple of hours stargazing, which should mean I'm not defined as "wild camping" too as I'm not actually camping, merely taking a food & rest break from my other 2 activities ;)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm off to St Brides Haven (South West Wales, Pembrokshire Coast Park) this weekend in the Campervan with my girly for a spot of flyfishing in the sea for macks and bass/pollack, and maybe mullet if I'm licky. I'm also taking the mini Shimano for her to try. It's really good for macks etc. Martyn, what you want for macks are a couple of small spinners like the bottom one of my pic in my review of the rod. That'll do fine. Keep it simple..

This is what I use to goood effect as a basic all round lure, the ABu Toby lure:

http://www.fishingbig.com/fishing_tackle/lures/abu_lures/abu_toby_7g_silver.html

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spacemonkey said:
Martyn, what you want for macks are a couple of small spinners like the bottom one of my pic in my review of the rod. That'll do fine. Keep it simple..
'k mate thanks, I'll look out for em. I was more curious about these multiple hook rigs than anything. :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Well that's just cheating if you ask me...;)
One cast and you have more than enough for dinner, and what will you do with the rest? If mackerel are handled they will die regardless as their skin can't take it, so unless you catch and release you have to kill them and how would you release 4 wriggling fish without touching them?

Hokkai type jigs or feathers, are 4 imitation fish things that are tied to line in a paternoster pattern. You tie one end of the rig to the main line and the other to a suitable lead weight. Cast out and winch them back in. Dumb fishing.. Makes me mad when the grockels do this, catch loads of macks, kill them all, then leave them on the sea shore or dump them in the bin. FER FEKS SAKE!!! Shooting the grockels is too humane....

Also when spinning with braid, you don't have to strike, the fish hook themselves when they take the lure. I always de barb my trebles too, otherwise they are a nightmare to get out and C&R is very difficult, not to mention the excessive injuries put on the fish. For Macky C&R, cut the other two hooks off the treble and use just one barbless hook, it'll cope fine! When caught, just shake the mack off the lure by holding the hook shank and giving a little up and down shake, the fish should fall off harmlessly. If you're going to kill them to eat, then club them first and remove hooks when they are dead. No point hanging around and letting it suffer for long.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spacemonkey said:
Well that's just cheating if you ask me...;)
One cast and you have more than enough for dinner, and what will you do with the rest?

Hang em in the chimney for half a day. :)

I was just curious really. I wanted to know what the most efficient way of catching a reasonable amount of food is.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
If you want macks for dinner and freezer, then feather (or hokkai) rigs wacked out in the shoals and reeled in. No sport at all though... One on a spinner is amazing! Mackies are here now, so make the most of it before they retreat back to offshore Cornwall again.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
The mini Shimano worked well (too windy and no back cast space for fly fishing) and the macks were won on a 30g lure similar to the Abu Toby (Mistral I think??) as they were further out from the range of the 10g lure. The rod casts best with a short line off the tip ring (about 1-1.5ft) and the lure, bring the rod back over head, and as the lure is straight out behind give the rod a quick flick forward as if you were flicking paint off a paintbrush. This is the same action used in fly fishing to get a nice tight loop in the line. Unfortunately, the lure was lost to rocks and so was a good length of line, and no more fish came to my smaller lures... The place looked so fishy, but not much around, even the hordes of divers confirmed this. Then as I packed up on the last evening, I saw the seal which was probably why the fish were awol. Still, I had never seen a wild seal before, so that made up for it!

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
:rolleyes: All,

Just got one of the 2.1m MED Shimano Ultra Compact Exage Mini Telescopic Rod for my birthday, looking forward to trying it at the weekend, not been fishing for 12 years, lost all my tackle so looking for ideas to start again.

Light sea and river / lake fishing hopefully eat a few trouts etc...

Problem.

The reel seat on this rod is v.small. My brother bought me a nice new Abu Garcia reel, but it is too big for the rod.

What would you 'experts' recommend, please include a basic tackle kit so I can fill my boots at the weekend and give it a whirl

Cheers Guys

Blencathra (Harrogate, North Yorks)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Blencathra,

That sound great, let us know what you catch and on what bait/lure, as I’m yet to get mine wet!

If anyone is interested, I like the carry case these rods come in, but it did seem a little bulky and I didn’t feel the reel need that much protection in a rucksack so I got a selection of these knife tubes from Ross over on British Blades (nice guy)

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24484&highlight=Knife+tubes

The rod fits beautifully into the appropriately sized tube with room for lures. It fits more easily into a side pocket and I think is probably a bit safer.

AJB

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I believe the recommended reels for the minis are the Shimano 750FI Symetre or the 750FB Sedona - I've got the Symetre and it's a fantastic reel; the Sedona has fewer bearings and is cheaper (£45 from Tackleshop IIRC)...

I'm not sure if any other makers do the mini reels but a google might throw something up...

ODG

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I got as tiny Shakespeare reel which I have put about 150m of 10ib braid on. Braid is about 3x the strength of the same diameter nylon, so you get much more on a smaller reel. The diea of the supplied rod tube is that the reel fits in the pouch too.

I have now had loads of mackerel on the rod on a small lure. It can cast a 30g lure a heck of a distance!

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Martyn said:
What about this stuff?

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=50276&sk=47013&u=FL300

I dont know anything about fishing, but reading about, it seems well rated. If it's thinner than regular line for the same strength, couldnt you get more of it onto a small reel?

Is it suitable for freshwater?

Braid like that has less elasticity than nylon monofilament, as Spacemonkey pointed out.

But more importantly (for me) has almost no memory.

If you only fish occasionally (like me) you find that the nylon comes off your reel with big loops in it; the memory of the shape it had coiled on the reel.

The Berkely braid comes off straight.

It is also considerably less stiff, which makes knots much more easy to tie.

K.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
outdoorgirl said:
I believe the recommended reels for the minis are the Shimano 750FI Symetre or the 750FB Sedona - I've got the Symetre and it's a fantastic reel; the Sedona has fewer bearings and is cheaper (£45 from Tackleshop IIRC)...

I'm not sure if any other makers do the mini reels but a google might throw something up...

ODG

For a small, rear drag option I think the shimano nexave 1000 fits the rod. Pretty cheap too... £29.99

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Martyn

The paternoster rig is a rig with rigid boom(s) (arms) or lengths of line coming off the main line with an extra trace at the end of the boom and a hook attached to the end of that. http://www.btinternet.com/~kevin.l.j.knight/Paternoster.htm The booms can be either fixed into position using beads and crimps (the beads stop the crimps jamming into the boom hole where the main line goes) or you can make them adjustable. The booms are generally wire or plastic and are normally used for pier or jetty fishing where you will be just dropping the line straight down and not casting. You'll use hooks and bait them rather than any type of lure. If using just line instead of booms the hook lengths can sometimes tangle around the main line and not stand out from it as with booms so use the line type paternoster (no booms) if casting a small distance or Booms if just dropping from the pier. The advantage with this rig is that it allows you to fish at different depths and normally 3 booms is sufficient. The booms are attached to the main line from your reel and weighted at the bottom of the main line below the booms. - Not suitable for casting with unless very short distances, as the bait will flap around and break off when casting long distances. If you want a casting rig use the 1 or 2 hook 'clip down'

The Hokkai rig is usually a pre-made rig with small 'shrimp like' lures on the end of each trace that come off the main line of the trace. ('Hokkai' refers to the shrimp like lures ) The trace is complete when you buy it and you attach the rig to your main line using a 'swivel' or 'snap link' with a casting weight at the bottom of the rig. As well as mackeral the larger rigs will take Bass, sea bream, and pollock amongst others. http://www.dansonrigs.co.uk/cart/product.php?productid=16274&cat=259&page=1
This unlike the paternoster is suitable for casting or just dropping straight down but they need to be 'worked' as all lures do, unless there is a good tide running. It has no booms like the paternoster but lengths of mono line to keep the lure away from the main line. There are many different types of lures for mackeral. Including various silver type ones that reflect sunlight and attract the inquisitive mackeral. There's a good selection here. http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/fishing_rigs.html some of which take fish other than just mackeral. The silver ones tipped with some mackeral belly slivers (the white bits) are very good for sea bream. - Don't forget lures must be 'worked' or you'll catch very little. Draw back the rod sharply and reel in as you bring the rod round forward again then draw back sharply again and keep repeating until the line is in - cast and repeat. Allow the lure to sink a little and try retreiving at different speeds and depths.

Hope that helps

Martyn said:
Thanks mate.

With regard to mackrel fishing, can someone explain to me the difference between a paternoster and hokkai rig?

Been reading up on mackrel fishing and these seem to pop up a lot, but all the diagrams I've looked at seem to show similar things for both of em.

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Another query for the experts, particularly ODG, Spacemonkey etc..., ()

I might have the ultimate test for this kit, now I have the symetre 750 reel (its a toy).

I am going to australia next week, thought I might take it. My mate we are visiting thinks the tackle is definatley not up to the job of sea fishing, 'the fish are too big'

Im undecided, should I take it and risk breaking it ?

Blencathra :confused:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Blencathra said:
Another query for the experts, particularly ODG, Spacemonkey etc..., ()

I might have the ultimate test for this kit, now I have the symetre 750 reel (its a toy).

I am going to australia next week, thought I might take it. My mate we are visiting thinks the tackle is definatley not up to the job of sea fishing, 'the fish are too big'

Im undecided, should I take it and risk breaking it ?

Blencathra :confused:

It depends on what type of fishing you're going to be doing, and if the fish are big fighters. For beach casting you'll need a large fixed spool reel or beach multiplier and beachcasting rod which are usually around 12' and designed to thump out the bait behind the surf long distances. Casting with a multiplier is a bit of a skill to learn so best stick with a fixed spool if you're not used to it or you'll end up untangling your birds nest for the time you're fishing. For light feathering, float fishing and small luring a small reel will do coupled with a spinning rod or similar light weight rod which is great fun as you feel every movement of the fish and is great sport. I'd advise asking your mate what fish you're expecting to catch and deciding if they warrent a little more robust gear. If you're going out on a boat you'll need heavier rod and a boat multiplier to deal with the larger fish.

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Cheers for the advice falling rain, I have been boat fishing as akid using feathers for mackrel, than the mackrel as bate for shark of the south coast. We also went boat fishing for snapper in New Zealand. Tend to hire kit for these events. I just figured based on this thread that this light weight rod would be suitable for holidays in the lakes and scotland and maybee for somelight sea fishing if on holiday by the coast, of the end of a pier or round rocks etc.....

The bloke at my local fishing shop in knaresborough suggests the reel will take nothing like 20ib braid line as suggested on the woodlore web site. He also thinks this 'light spinning rod' will break if used for sea fishing. Space monkey and others seem to suggest it would be a laugh getting mackies in the sea ?

I am taking it in tommorrow to get some line and bits of tackle.

Still confused but really eager to use it.

Blencathra

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE