Teflon as a Bearing Block for Bow and Drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My favorite bearing block for bow and drill friction fire is made from Teflon. I had some left over from a telescope build and made these two up. The larger one is just held as is in the hand with the middle finger through the lanyard.

teflon%20bearing%20block.JPG

This one is a knife fob that is held as shown. The advantage of using Teflon is the nearly zero friction and the light weight.

IMG_7217.JPG

IMG_7219.JPG

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Old skill meets hi tec.....like it...lets face it ancient peoples rarely fabricated their bow drills on the spot...they carried them...so its traditional in a way

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It's an 8 inch F6 Dobsonian reflector made with baltic birch and maple. It's designed to be taken apart for travel.

More info here.

image019.jpg

image025.jpg

Now that is gorgeous, ive had my eye on a 12" Dobo for some time, just been reading your website, love the pic you have on there of Venus, you caught the phase really well

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
mmmm interesting - does the teflon wear well, and what shape do you cut the end of the spindle - pointed as per usual or more rounded to reduce wear?

An astronomer too!? Very impressive Kevin. I like the photo of Saturn. You were able to see the space between the rings and the planet.

Have you ever built a rocket?

Thanks Chris, you'd be surprised how many hobbies I have :), no rockets yet though.

mmmm interesting - does the teflon wear well, and what shape do you cut the end of the spindle - pointed as per usual or more rounded to reduce wear?

Yes, it does wear. The original divot in the larger block was drilled to approximately one third it's thickness and it is now about half way through. I've probably used it hundreds of times and it's still going strong. I'm guessing it would be good for at least a thousand uses. I cut the end of the spindle to a point which will round out a bit once it gets used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE