Teepee suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
My daughter has been asking me to make her a teepee, instead of a playhouse (i kind of persuaded her that a teepee would be better, not that I'm being selfish and want a teepee anyway MUCH!). So, I'm looking for a hardcore teepee design plan that is as big as possible, and one that I can light a fire in when I test it out for her (most of the time) and one which is as much like the one on Ray does America. I'd also realy appreciate some leads on materials and I'd like to keep the cost as keen as possible without compromising the quality of the item.

This is your mission if you are willing to accept it.

This tape will self destruct in five seconds.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I own this book:

Indian-Tipi-History-Construction-Use

and this one:

Tipi living
(This one is a small pamphlet but still worth shelling out for)

You could just simplify and scale down the included plans and make one from a few old bedsheets perhaps? Probably decide the size of your tipi by the height of the poles you are prepared to get and put up for it.

Never done it myself - just talking the talk - but it would be fun to see any attempt you make on this project anyway!

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Hey Doc,

I built a 'tarpee' in Oz many moons ago. It was a regualr teepee but instead of the heavy duty canvas it has (3?) silver tarpaulins. It looked like a giant rocket!!

It was great fun to live in, utterly huge. Kept me, the 2 grass snakes under the bed and the theiving feral dogs very cosy! I scribbled out the design in my travel journal, which is currently in a box somewhere but I could probably dig it out for you in the next few days if you like.

If you made it with tarps it would certainly keep costs down but you would, just possibly, be 'compromising the quality of the item' :D

j

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
redcollective said:
I own this book:

Indian-Tipi-History-Construction-Use

and this one:

Tipi living
(This one is a small pamphlet but still worth shelling out for)

You could just simplify and scale down the included plans and make one from a few old bedsheets perhaps? Probably decide the size of your tipi by the height of the poles you are prepared to get and put up for it.

Never done it myself - just talking the talk - but it would be fun to see any attempt you make on this project anyway!
Your first url isn't working. Can you try again?
Tutchi
:cool:

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
teepee living looks swell, I might get that.

Janiepops teepee sounds more like Glastonbury mainstage, nice to know that you lived in it, does it feel all 'primal' and 'essential' to live in one or am I just a sucker for the trip ??

Yeah, I can't get the first lnk either.

Thanks folks, keep it commin'

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
drstrange said:
teepee living looks swell, I might get that.

Janiepops teepee sounds more like Glastonbury mainstage, nice to know that you lived in it, does it feel all 'primal' and 'essential' to live in one or am I just a sucker for the trip ??

Wasn't quite that big :D although did end up with a few glasto type randoms in there at times!! (it was in Byron Bay - if anyones been there they'll get it!)

It was great to live in, obviously the 'silverness' really helped in the Ozzie sun, and the walls were raised every morning to let some air through. The real test is leaving it and sleeping within 4 walls again. Not a great feeling, im a bit claustrophobic at the best of times!

j

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Yeah theres always a 'bender' - nothing to do with what your thinking. Its like a yurt shape but with tarps around it. Its essentially sapplings bent over one another vertically, stuck into the ground and covered with a coupler of tarps. Spent the night in one once, wasn't too bad - very waterproof. Its a temporary solution though n not too pretty.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've got a traditional canvas tipi....I love it to bits.

It's got a three metre diametre and can take a fire or stove...it's toasty in the snow!

But it does need 12 rather long 4.5m pine poles to hold it up and these could be a pain to transport about and also to store.
I'm lucky in that I have the means for moving and storage and even though I love it, I'm still saving up for a tentipi ;)

Anyway, here's the blueprint for a tipi that Abbe showed me a while ago, hope it's of some use to you:

tipikopia2.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of mine to give you something to imagine:

Tipi018.jpg

Ashdown009.jpg

Tipi005.jpg

and just the poles:

Tipi002.jpg

Finally, if you can get over to me in Surrey one weekend I'll take you out to cut your own poles for free rather than buying them from a wood yard if you like? It's so much nicer when people ask you about the poles (which lots on campsites do) if you can say you went into the forest and cut them yourself :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Reactions: drstrange

drstrange

Forager
Jul 9, 2006
London
bambodoggy said:
I've got a traditional canvas tipi....I love it to bits.

It's got a three metre diametre and can take a fire or stove...it's toasty in the snow!

But it does need 12 rather long 4.5m pine poles to hold it up and these could be a pain to transport about and also to store.
I'm lucky in that I have the means for moving and storage and even though I love it, I'm still saving up for a tentipi ;)

Anyway, here's the blueprint for a tipi that Abbe showed me a while ago, hope it's of some use to you:

Finally, if you can get over to me in Surrey one weekend I'll take you out to cut your own poles for free rather than buying them from a wood yard if you like? It's so much nicer when people ask you about the poles (which lots on campsites do) if you can say you went into the forest and cut them yourself :)

:D

Bambodoggy, what can I say, this is superb. Thank you very much indeed for going to the trouble to give me such an excellent solution. I'll be in touch private message.
:You_Rock_

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Hi bambodoggy and all,

Great pics....I've had a soft spot for one of these since I was a child....did you make this one from the plans you've shown? I really fancied a Reese teepee, but the prices are just too too much!

Had thought perhaps of buying a little piece of land with woods in France so that I could really get into it...and stay for a few months at a time, just come home for the winters! might have to do a little more work on convincing the better half though!

Best Regards :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
bushman762 said:
Hi bambodoggy and all,

Great pics....I've had a soft spot for one of these since I was a child....did you make this one from the plans you've shown? I really fancied a Reese teepee, but the prices are just too too much!

Had thought perhaps of buying a little piece of land with woods in France so that I could really get into it...and stay for a few months at a time, just come home for the winters! might have to do a little more work on convincing the better half though!

Best Regards :)

Hi there,

No, I didn't make mine.....my sowing skills aren't up to it I'm affraid. But I did cut my poles and make my pins and pegs :)

I like your idea for moving to France but winter is the best time to be in a tipi....so much so that I only really use mine in the winter months and as Phil said below that was a very nippy weekend when that pic was taken.....I almost felt sorry for him in his basha! lol lol lol :p :p :p

Cheers,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE