Teeny tiny hatchet

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Boot sale find this morning, a no name little hatchet the perfect size for backpack and bimbles. Needs a new handle as its got what appears to be a hammer handle on it at present. Would a bit of oak from the timber merchant be ok to make one out of????
evebyny5.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
dandy little fella that mate...for that size i reckon i'd be inclined to handle from a nice shaped ash branch for even more charm

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
That is small, I'd go for ash helve as well as when I first started axe restoration I used oak on half a dozen and they all broke, apple works really well, I have made lots from elm of late.
Look forward to seeing it finished.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have one that can scarcely be any bigger than that, also a car boot item. These were probably a common item back in the mists of time, I remember my dad having one of similar size in his toolkit. You won't cut down any redwoods with it, but it's handy to have around.

Sparky415

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Oxfordshire
I have one of those
Yours might have the original handle, They come with a very plain/straight handle
I can take a picture of mine later if you like?

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
We used to have a little one like that when I was a kid, we used it for chopping kindling for the coal fire. I'd love one now for things like doing the rough shaping for woodwork.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Anyone looking for a really small hatchet could do a lot worse than this.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/vaughan-hatchet

Seen one in the flesh and really is a great bit of kit.
Redfox of this parish had one at the Giants seat meet and it really does punch above its weight.
Oh and the build quality is great as well as edge retention.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have one that can scarcely be any bigger than that, also a car boot item. These were probably a common item back in the mists of time, I remember my dad having one of similar size in his toolkit. You won't cut down any redwoods with it, but it's handy to have around.

Yes trees were smaller back then!;)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Anyone looking for a really small hatchet could do a lot worse than this.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/vaughan-hatchet

Seen one in the flesh and really is a great bit of kit.
Redfox of this parish had one at the Giants seat meet and it really does punch above its weight.
Oh and the build quality is great as well as edge retention.

I have one, though handless at the mo. The eye is very small so you need to be more thoughtful than with other axes. I wasn't - twice. :D

I shall be going for a longer handle next time. Thinking Norlund idea.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
You won't cut down any redwoods with it.

Well you say that..........but it's just a matter of having the time ;) lol lol lol

Lovely little hatchet head and I'd go for an ash handle too...a mate of mine did one for me on a felling head from a 1940's green goddess with a lump of ash I'd felled at work and it's gorgeous....looks great and nicely flexible :)

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
The local aladdins cave ironmongers cane up trumps today, they hadmini hatchet handles (hickory) and even some mini metal wedges. I bought two (one for a kent pattern head i have) and rehung the mini chopper.
ahapegav.jpg

ere8e3ed.jpg

Even found time this evening to knock up a little mask (not great but itll do).
9u8aqe3u.jpg

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE