Teaching students DIY- what would suggest?

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Hey guys, I been asked to work with a group of students to show them some basic DIY. I have them for 6 weeks- what would you show them, what are the basics of DIY?

Cheers Joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
6 weeks? A bit of Plastering would be good , not that difficult but takes confidence from practice.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Risk assessment, how to use tools in a safe manner, how to use a ladder ( do not lean out, do not stand on the top rung, .e.t.c) how to lift heavy/awkward loads without injury, how to measure and mark materials, turning off the water/electrical supply (and that pipes and cables should be run vertically in walls, so do not drill within a 10 cm wide stip above a power socket e.t.c)before working on those systems, and most importantly, how to use a first aid kit.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I'd get em put a shelf up ie levelling,drill n screwing with rawl plugs then I'd get em paint it properlyl under coat sanding filling then gloss.covers loads of basics that

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Basic drilling (HSS, masonary, wood). Saws (panel, jig, tenon, chop, table, circular). Screws (Phillips, pozi, slot). Screwdrivers (manual sizes, ratchet, Yankee, power, adjusting torque clutch). Planing (power and manual). Sanding (hand and manual).

With that lot they should be able to build a free standing bookcase.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
a lot of good stuff there already. First off though, what age are these students and how long do you get them for (guessing not 8 hrs per day, 5 days a week!)

use of basic tools and risk assessment. use of ladders, etc putting up a shelf or making a bookcase are nice (they also cover the use of simple tools and techniques such as measuring and levelling). Heck even just assembling flat packed furniture or a shed!

Also silly things like wiring a plug, removing/replacing sink taps/u-bends. unblocking things, fitting a window or door? I'm thinking of things that modern people seem to spend money on hiring a grown up to do instead of just doing it like my dad would do!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Also silly things like wiring a plug, removing/replacing sink taps/u-bends. unblocking things, fitting a window or door? I'm thinking of things that modern people seem to spend money on hiring a grown up to do instead of just doing it like my dad would do!

+1 to this.

Also just being made aware what tools are used for what purpose and how to maintain them.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
How to make a placcard? For protesting?

Really, the basic tools with no real end goal, in both wood and metal. Basic hand saw techniques, basic drilling, afixings things and there different methods, powertool use, assembling furniture, the hammer and it's associates, painting, finishing surfaces, paper hanging.

Plumming brikkies chippies and spakies are really a bit advanced!

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Thanks guys. It's a mixed ability teen group of about 6. I was wanting to (as dave said) show them the stuff that your dad would do.
It honestly causes me some concern the amount of young guys that have very little awareness of tools and their ability to utilise then to achieve/ fix things.

Flat pack is a good idea and is something they are bound to come across with ikea taking over the world! Some stuff we can't do, like changing plugs and fuses...apparently you have to be an electrician to teach that...just in case! I have them for 6 weeks, 2 1/2 hrs a time so should be enough time to show something useful!

I was thinking that it might be good to have something that they create over the 6 weeks utilising the skills they are learning- a bit like in the old woodwork/ Cdt lessons- maybe a little shelf or box or something. Thanks for all the ideas so far, cheers Joab

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I often use a bird house as a useful teaching tool. Plenty of opportunity for cutting angles, bevelling edges, drilling holes, inletting a hinge, screwing and gluing, clamping, sanding, staining etc. Not expensive on materials and easy to remake a piece when mistakes happen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE