Teaching Bushcraft & Survival for the first time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Last weekend I taught formally for the first ever time. I put on course at the request of a land-owner for a group of 17 kids from a Manchester School aged around 12-13 years old and I thought I would share my experience with you kind folk.

I've been asked to teach a few times before, however up until now I've shy'd away from teaching-formally as I've always had a nervous feeling that I either lack the knowledge to be percieved as an 'expert' or didn't think I had the confidence to teach to a group. The course I was asked to provide was a 1 day Survival course, going over the survival-priorities in depth & with demos, covering many things, like utilising kit & rubbish, having a go at many different fire lighting techniques & much more. Turns out I did pretty dam well and im chuffed with myself. :D

Admittedly the night before the course I was really kacking it!... mostly due to weather; my first ever course, with young kids and it was forecast heavy-rain all day with 22mph winds :eek: Believe me I wasn't feeling comfortable.. I was lay there in the woods on my own thinking of all the things that could go wrong due to weather & kit, not good when your trying to drift off to sleep.

I had worked hard a couple of days before gathering & preparing materials (mostly making lots of firebows and fire gear etc.), I also had a 22ft parachute of mine to setup that I knew definitely wasn't waterproof! :Wow: I had a last minute idea of setting up the land-owner's parachute over the top of mine, making a double-layered parachute teepe, thank god I had that idea as neither one of the parachutes were waterproof on their own but the two together did the job and created a waterproof classroom in heavy-rain! The layers & overcast day made it a little dark inside so I lit it up thanks to a friend's petrol lattern, I also lifted one side of the teepe up slightly to let more light in. The day went really well; I was well prepared, everything went smoothly & everybody was really happy with what they learnt. There was no wind in the valley so that was a relief and the shear enthusiam of all the kids just made the rain disappear from mind. I found it easier to speak and teach to the group than I thought I would. Demo's went well and there was plenty of kit for kids to play with and try.

The absolulte highlight of my day had to be the firebow session; I feel proud of myself and the kids for this one... from start to finish I sucessfully taught the kids to make fire by friction with the bow-drill in the rain!! None of them had ever tried before and there they were mastering the art of fire by friction in the rain, we weren't under the parachute for any of this session! I would say about 14-15 out of the 17 kids made fire by friction in the rain. With it having rained for two days the humidity in the air was terrible too, you know when you can tell as you cotton-wool soaks it out of the air or ground, so I thought this was a real achievement, felt so proud of them. So in conclusion I think I've got over my nerves, enjoyed it and will certainly teach again.

Ashley-Cawley-Teaching-Bushcraft.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Brilliant Ash, well done fella

The rest will be easier now I reckon.

When are you starting to take bookings then ? :)

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Well done that man!

I know about the pre-course sleep problems... I teach sailing and often have difficulty nodding off the night before.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Thats alot of work, and alot to be proud of mate. Teaching the younger generation about bushcraft is an art form as well as a skill.

Congratulations mate - you earnt a round of applause!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_
well done, I remember my first time, i was very nervous, sound like you did a fantastic job!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Well done,wish i had te knowledge and the guts to do that.
Thats why I thought I'd post, hopefully give a bit of inspiration for others to try it!

I have really enjoyed teaching family and friends for a good while in a informal/relaxed way. I think subliminally I've wanted to teach to more and I've been able to do that with my site NaturalBushcraft, it's let me teach and help others but without the pressure, videos or articles done when I get the time and with no pressure. It might not pay but hey it's a hobby and what I enjoy and making content has certainly inspired me to learn yet more of the topic!

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Some in this country unfortunately do teachers down ("those who can't, teach"), but in my experience if you really want to understand something, learning enough about it so you can teach it is hard to beat.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
I think one of the reasons I felt reluctant to teach was because I don't considered myself an expert by no means, others might refer to you as one but im sure as many have experienced; sometimes the more you learn the more you come to realise how little you know!

Bushcraft / Survival / Primitive Skills & the Natural World is a immensely broad range of topics, something I'll never finish learning about! :rolleyes:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Well done on the instruction. It is good fun isn't it. One thing I've found helps is to get a good risk management plan sorted out. It helps with the sleep the night before.

Cheers

John

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
It was fun, I was inspired by their enthusiasm and the experience was educating for me too!

Thanks for the recommendations, so this risk assesment document; would this be something I would draw up from scratch or is there some template for outdoor activities I can pickup somewhere?

Mang

Settler
Good job! Teaching kids is a blast. Mac

I'm definately no expert but I agree, teaching kids is a blast so well done. I was nervous at the thought of helping Bushcraft and Survival magazine's stand at the Explorer camp recently but whilst there were those who knew more than me I was asked more than once by stand visitors what my job with the magazine was!

Also, we had an end of term Cub meeting on a ex farm with rolling fields and copses. I was suprvising a game in the woods and almost on autopilot started making an Elderflower whistle...before long the game had half stopped as they watched me and were amazed when a note came out. I was chuffed but this was several notches down from what you've achieved.

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
well done ash, i thought you would be great at this sort of thing after spending time with you in the woods! you have a knowledge and a great deal of patients which in my experience is crucial when teaching anyone! this could be the start of something great for you mate, good lick with it, if you need any help you know where i am!!:You_Rock_

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for all the support guys!

This kinda came at the right time too; been soo busy lately trying to buy our first place, I've been taking on extra work designing websites etc. all getting a bit hellish and then this came along.. work and what I enjoy at the same time! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE