Teach me about water bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi guys n gals,

Im currently using a mountain warehouse plastic water bottle. It does very nicely but I can't help but notice the bad smell.

I clean it out with vinegar to try and keep this at bay but I don't really recall this problem with my cheap metal bottle.

So in short, is there a superior water bottle out there? Metal versus plastic?

I had considered a sigg bottle but preferred the idea that this plastic jobie would be a bit more robust should I drop it. I've seen numerous metal bottles with serious dents which I thought would not be good for the lining?

Cheers
andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The best I've come across yet are the Source ones Andy, they have a really smooth coating on the inside which I think helps to keep them clean and odour/taste free. I've used a couple of the 1L Liquitainers for backpacking trips over the last 18 months and they still smell and taste like new. I've used plenty of Sigg bottles over the years and there's no getting away from that metallic taste, Nalgenes were an improvement but I've had a couple of those go a bit rank eventually.

Have a look at the Liquitainers and see what you reckon, I like the fact that they roll down to nothing when empty too. Avoid the Nalgene Cantene if you go for a soft bottle, I had one split after just a week of abuse. The Platys are always good value too.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have used the sane 58 pattern bottles for probably the last 20 years, not had any problems with them no smells or anything, well priced too. worth a look.

cheers
Lou

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
My bad.

Ive heard good things about the 58pattern bottles. Something to do with them being black and not letting the light in.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
that does help, mine have traveled with me all that time through various countries and the fact a crusader mug fits on them makes it even better!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Stainless steel bottle with no lining for me, doubles as a water boiling vessel if need be :)

+2

Wide mouthed (easier to fill, and can dump ice cubes in) single walled (so can boil water) stainless steel bottle.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a Sigg water bottle, I wouldn't buy another.
As far as I'm concerned they are no real improvement over a cheapo placky pop bottle.
If you want to test them against each other, give them a kick around a tarmac yard and see which costs more to replace. Takes a good boot to break a pop bottle.

I also have a Sigg fuel bottle (full of panel wipe for my Optimus Svea 123R) and its fine.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The stuff used for sterilising baby bottles should work Andy, that's if the Bicarbonate of Soda doesn't.

I must admit I like my platypus bottles. I've got one that's 14 years old and it's still useable :D

I fancied one of the stainless steel ones until I felt just how heavy they were, and saw one that looked like it'd been stomped upon.
The platypus ones just tuck neatly into any space, clean out easily and weigh light. Don't put juice into them though, especially if it's got fake sweetners in it.........took weeks to get that damned taste out of the plastic :yuck:

cheers,
M

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Thanks everyone.

I'm offshore just now, will try and raid the kitchen for some bicarbonate of soda.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks the business for the car Ed :D
I've lost count of the number of so called no spill mugs I've tried for my coffee in the car.
Birthday coming up, I am compiling a list of things I quite fancy having. This is going onto it :D

cheers,
M

forestwalker

I'll echo the steel crowd. Yes Toddy, they are a bit heavier, but I think I'm willing to take that. I have one Guyot and one Kleen Kanteen. The Guyot is tighter (I sometimes get some minor leakage from the KK, never from the Guyot), but for boiling the KK has a great advantage: the lid is not attached. Also, the KK can be bought, while the Guyot appears to be a semi-mythical remain of a golden age, now long past. Or maybe it, like the Phoenix and a number of mythical Gods, will rise again?

And I'll also echo the wide mouth club: easier to clean, easier to e.g fill with snow (pour half full of hot water, also easier with a wide mouth, and add snow until it is either too cold to melt the snow or full of water), and easier to fill.

Last edited:

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I have 4 sigg metal bottles and have had no problems with them. I always store them with lidd half screwed off and me and my sons use juice, milk and everything in them.

They have been dropped, kicked and sat upon with no problems.

we use insulated sleeves which keeps drinks colder in Summer.

I wouldn't buy any other

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I seem to collect bottles- I have tons of nalgene ones- no probs with odours I've noticed yet. I have a Guyot designs lid on one which has an LED in it to convert the bottle into a lantern which is kinda cool!

Also have siggs, both standard with neoprene sleeve and oval with oval mug too- that's for the port when I travel to the bothy!! The neoprene one I filled with boiling water in Nepal, use it to warm the sleeping bag at night then had clean water in the morning which lasted until the iodine worked in the hydration bladder... neat wee system for always having drinkable water on the trek.

Finally, I have a couple of the source collapsible bottles which are excellent and rate them highly.

ATB

KP

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
I do own 58 pattern osprey bottles, Nalgene bottles, Stainless steel Nalgene bottle, Guyot designs bottle in stainless steel, USGI Water bottles, platypus water bottles and a few unbranded bottles but if i were to pick one it would be a stainless bottle with a wide mouth just because you cannot beat the functionality

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE