Tea for......one.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I got a stove that screws on to the top of a CampingGaz bottle and a honey stove that I burn sticks in. What is the best thing to use to boil up some water for a cuppa while I am working outside?

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I don't know what is 'best' but I like a ghillie kettle/Kelly kettle for boiling water. Fun to use and very efficient IMHO.
Sandbags is doing a group buy for ghillie kettles at the moment give them a look.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I'd agree with the storm kettle option (Kelly/gillie or other makes are available...) - though I love my honey stove too!
They are efficient, and work better the worse the weather is and are more fun than a gas stove.
However I would say get the size you need. You are supposed to fill them (esp the aluminium ones) so if you only need enough for a cuppa, an mkettle is a good option and doesn't need much fuel at all. I've got one of those and the larger size Kelly kettle for when out with family or if I need boiling water for other things. Both are great but there's no need boiling more water than you need as you'll need more fuel since as I say, these kettles are designed to be used full.

All that said, a gas stove is easier, no doubt about it. So you've only got 10 mins for a quick tea break you probably don't want to start hunting for fuel and then getting a storm kettle lit. But if you are already out in the woods with plenty of fuel around and have a bit more time, a storm kettle is a lot more fun and sustainable.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Sorry I didn't explain myself to well, I was in a hurry to post.

What is the best item, like a kettle that I can use to hold the water for my cuppa to put on either of my stoves? Is there a smaller option than a normal stove kettle? Like a billy can? But I really wanted something kettle shaped.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Mors pot - a billy but with handles and a pouring 'spout'. Or go cheap and pick up a stainless steel teapot - can get one of those in various sizes so sure to be one to suit you and you can always find these in charity shops, sometimes for pence!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Thanks for all the input and info guys, especially Jaeger's pictures with captions! I was hoping towards a small kettle rather than a metal cup or mess tin so that Gives me some food for thought.

Thanks again.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Little tip, the Jetboil coffee press which is about £12.99 fits perfectly in the snowpeak titanium 700 mug.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
These kettles with the steeping insert may be of interest, they're cheap and found all over the place under different names from Tesco own brand, Yellowstone and the bushcraft store stocks them at £4 a pop.
aluminium-camp-kettle-664-p.jpg
IMAG2111.jpg
Here's mine in action with the Dorito lid replacement as I lost the original.
The crane is balanced so the kettle lifts off the stove when it's boiled some of the water off this way I don't melt the kettle whilst away collecting more firewood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE