Tcp

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How the hang do you get rid of the smell of TCP ?

I've got a sore throat coming on. Himself said, "You could gargle with something, nip it in the bud". So, I went raking through the drawer and nothing looked right, it was all flavoured sugar water syrup stuff for sore throats apart from the TCP. It said on the bottle to dilute 1:5 with water and gargle. It's utterly horrible. Hours later I can still taste the damned stuff, and I managed to get some on my hand and I cannot get the stench off.

There's got to be something that'll work :dunno: or is it like the mothball stuff and it needs to sublimate ?

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only whisky in the house is Son2's malt. He'd happily share I'm sure, but it seems and awful waste of stuff that cost what this stuff did.

Garlic ? I've grated up an onion and put it into a jar and covered it with sugar. By the morning it'll be a pungent syrup that'll knock out the buggits in my throat (not sure how my presently very tender stomach will take it though; I suppose I could just use that in the gargle.)
Am I the only one who smells garlic and subliminally thinks, "Food!" :)

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Another thread gave me an idea for getting rid of the taste and maybe easing your throat a bit too. I usually add a touch of cayenne pepper powder to my hot chocolate.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Last year I did something similar, I was feeling a bit iffy , so I went in the cupboard got ( what I thought it was) the echinacea bottle out and dropped 15 drops of it in a glass of water, downed the lot and then realised it wasn't the echinacea that I just drank, I just dropped 15 drops of olbas oil in water....

All I could taste for 2 weeks was olbas oil...

😏

To rid yourself of the smell , drink wine....
plenty of it.

And if doesn't work and you still smell , drink some more

....until you stop caring.

:)

(Disclaimer: always drink responsibly. )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried sooking a pan drop last night, and it helped but the underlying tcpness slowly overwhelmed the mint.

The wee bottle was new and the safety cap was a pain to get open, and it dribbled/splashed on my hand when it jerked free. Two or three wee drops and the stench is only now really fading away.

Not doing that again :eek:

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I washed the inside of the greenhouse down with Jeye's fluid a couple of years ago :sigh:
It was weeks before I could get rid of the smell.

Scary things these phenols.

Hear ? Drain Bamaged ? how about sharing the garlic pickling recipe :D I've just pulled the stuff from a border and I've a big plant pot full of the bulbs.

M

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Nothing fancy Toddy….I like to pull it a little earlier than normal almost before it has had the chance to form a tougher papery skin on the blub/cloves, break it down into individual skinned cloves which are dropped into brine (basically to clean them as everything gets almost muddy with the dirt on the bulbs and the oil and moisture as you clean them) Then into straight forward white vinegar (though I have done the same with ordinary brown malt vinegar). If the Nasturtiums are far enough advanced I throw in any Nasturtium seeds I can find too and any peppers that are ready (though the peppers tend to be just to make it look pretty in the jar) if there is any late Garlic still producing Scapes I cut up and throw in the scapes too as a bit of colour…… Once it’s pickled it seems to take away any bitterness and is actually quite nice chopped and eaten raw in salads (though the person sat next to you on the bus the next day may not think so) The flavoured vinegar can obviously be used and is great in curries (as is the Garlic) the vinegar really brings out the curry flavour……I generally allow some of the cloves to dry out a bit more and then add them to Olive Oil too but find the cloves do need to be reasonably dry or they tend to turn the oil a milky colour…….I have no idea how long it would actually last done like this as people here keep eating it, I've already 'tested' the stuff I did last night.

D.B.

Jul 11, 2016
Manchester
I must be some of the minority that doesn't actually mind the smell of TCP I find it oddly comforting.
But to rid the smell I usually liberally rub a bar of soap with sand or coarse salt on to the affected area and wash liberally with warm water.

No trees were destroyed sending this post, however a few electrons were slightly inconvenienced. (Via Tapatalk)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You could drown out the taste/smell with opposing taste/smell... I'd highly recommend a brandy and a decent cigar... or if you prefer the sledgehammer approach, drink a bottle of tequila whilst juggling bath bombs :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I can't say I'm bothered by the smell and I have no good advice for ridding yourself of it :dunno: .

BUT ... I can remember something which might make you a bit more happy with both the taste and scent ...

One of my former scouts was on exped in overly warm weather. A few days in and he developed quite a severe sweat rash. The team, for whatever reason, was carrying a bottle of TCP. "Anti-sceptic is like anti-bac, right?". Only he didn't dilute it. And he applied it directly by pouring. And the rubbing was in his crotch :yikes: .

Strangely he never noticed, nor complained about, a lingering smell :nutkick: :campfire: :rofl:

How we laughed!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I really don't know what tcp is (and Google didn't help) but tomato baths have been used with limited sucess to get rid of the odor from skunk spray.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE