TBS Boar Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 20, 2014
Surrey
Hello everyone. I'm probably going to buy this knife as my main bushcraft knife...the boar bushcraft knife from the bushcraft store. K720 carbon steel (4mm thick) with the curly birch handle. I am posting on my phone and can't seem to paste the link to the knife on their site. I have some camellia oil for protecting the blade but I probably would've chosen stainless given the choice. Before I saw this knife I wanted the fallkniven f1...however the main reasons for my choice change are the convex blade for sharpening and I much prefer the traditional look of the boar.

Can anybody tell me if you think I might be making a mistake in buying the boar please? I have read one review and it was very positive...but I don't always swallow reviews where they have been given a product free of charge etc.

Thanks

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
I've not seen the Boar.

However I've had several Fallknivens' and it is surprising how easy it is to maintain the convex edge using just a leather strop & compound.
Re-profiling a blunt knife would be more tricky though....

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I have seen this knife in the flesh and it's really nice. I would be torn between the carbon blade and the stainless. From the limited amount of knowledge I have stainless is a little harder to get an edge on it for a beginner. I love stainless steel so I would probably buy that. And buy a cheep knife like a mora to practise sharpening with until your confident and don't screw up a new knife. Please post the pics when you buy we all love shinie new things. I would also like to saw for that much money I would ask Ben orford to make me a knife his work is outstanding.

Sep 20, 2014
Surrey
Thanks for your comments, some extra thought goes in now. TBS say they can't do me a stainless with the curly birch handle which is a real shame as I just don't like the black micarta no matter how much I'm trying to. However, they said to call tomorrow as they have some stuff in the pipeline and might be able to find a bit more out for then...I'm assuming this is their coming 'lynx' line.

I already have a stainless mora companion I use for small game and I'm uurring towards the carbon boar.

I'll definitely post pictures for you when I decide.

Ps. I have looked at ben orfords site but the 4 inch blade I'd be after starts from about £230 I think compared to £105 for the boar. This is well out of my range at the moment

Last edited:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Get yourself a Mora, learn what you need/like in a knife - then decide. I have used lots, F1's, various customs, made my own etc. I have used this one, its OK, I have used an AW, its OK. I have a little stick-tang ( I handled myself) its brilliant. Its "horses for courses" but unless you try - you won't know.
Atb
Neil

Sep 20, 2014
Surrey
In my mind I have already decided on stainless as this country is generally wet and I like to canoe...not that I'll always have my knife out while paddling. And a scandi grind too as it seems to be the easiest to sharpen. I will hold off for 3 to 4 weeks to buy the boar. So this will be my next bushcraft knife...I have a mora companion already. Maybe I won't get along with it and in time I will want a different knife but I won't go out in a hurry to replace it.

Last edited:

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I use a TBS boar folder EDC. Stainless with beech handle. Based on my use of it I will be buying a walnut Tbs boar full size for bushcraft and camping. The build quallity is outstanding and I have applied a few coats of dark oil and beeswax which made a great looking knife look even better.

On top of that as you mentioned. The scandi grind is so easy to keep sharp. A few runs on a strop keep it shaving sharp (literally). You won't be disappointed. TBS also have outstanding customer service from my experience.

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
I have the TBS Grizzly it's one hell of a knife, first time I used it I cut my knuckle right down to the bone. I agree about there customer service it is outstanding.
Cheers
Dave

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

I have the TBS Grizzly it's one hell of a knife, first time I used it I cut my knuckle right down to the bone. I agree about there customer service it is outstanding.
Cheers
Dave

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Hi, I have been eyeing the grizzly from TBS for a few months now, and I haven't found many reviews, I've always been hesitant about trusting review for websites that are selling the products as I know from experience reviews can be hand picked to show only positives, I thought perhaps the grizzly would be better for me due to the slightly larger size, as I'm 6'3" and have large clumsy hands. I hope that it's Okay to ask, as this is my first real post, and I'm new to forums.
Thanks
James
ps how's the knuckles?

Thank you for your honest opinion, this is exactly the kind of information I needed to hear. After all, looking at pictures is no substitute for holding a tool in your hand. And of course it is a expensive mistake to make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE