Tatonka Pyramid, A future Bushcraft Classic?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
It looked like it might have to be mine too!

Read your post this morning and thought Oh No! as one of the suppliers whom you'd called and were out of stock was the supplier which had processed my order payment and issued confirmation!

A (very) quick call confirmed that despite the payment being taken, and a confirmation issued, they did not actually have any stock! )o:

Genuine Army Surplus had stock (confirmed by phone) but not the floor or pole.

Once again, thank you Wayland. (o:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
It looked like it might have to be mine too!

Read your post this morning and thought Oh No! as one of the suppliers whom you'd called and were out of stock was the supplier which had processed my order payment and issued confirmation!

A (very) quick call confirmed that despite the payment being taken, and a confirmation issued, they did not actually have any stock! )o:

Name names!:(

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
Looks like a modern version of the German WWII Zeltbahn. Here's a French military copy made of canvas:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=194145

And here's a pic of eight quarters buttoned together:

http://oblio13.blogspot.com/2008/09/interesting-gear-zeltbahn-shelter.html

yup, that is what im sorta thinkign of, im sure i read in "In combat magazine" that the uk guys used diamond shaped ones. Perhaps mr Fenna has some volumes stored away, i like an idiot used the words "yes dear, throw out the old magazines" when i lived with the ex (somehow 4 huge binders are actually classed as amagazine):lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
'Fraid not - I clip my cuttings and bin the rest.
If I kept everything I would have the best insulated house in Wales - no room but 20' thick paper insulation on floor walls and cieling!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Wayland and Glen,

Thank you for the info, I managed to find the floor and poles at Up and Under! (o:

I'm soooo looking forward to this kit arriving, a bit like a child on Christmas eve!

Humpback,

When I placed my original order, the online ordering system allowed the order to proceed to payment as it does not have a stock level checking facility, when I called the Company, the person with whom I spoke had just checked their stock level and was about to refund the payment.

The payment was recieved in good faith, its simply an aspect of the online ordering system, the payment and issued confirmation are processed by an independent Company.

I would have replied earlier but I accepted an updated version of Fast Dial which axe murdered my laptop! )o:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well, I gave it a bit of a shakedown this weekend, not much of a test really because the weather was fine.

Pyramid_Tarp.jpg

I have to say I like it. The size is good, it's easy as pie to put up, and it does what it says on the tin.

I used the nesting pole set which is very neat and the pegs that came with it but not the guys, they didn't seem to be needed but who knows what worse weather will bring.

The only small niggle. As mentioned above, is the window on one side which I don't really see the need for, and it means one of the tarps can't be used as a top cover.

I'll see how I get on with the window, otherwise I may consider removing the zip, stitching it up and tape sealing it.

By the way, the tarp bit of the tent all packs down small enough to fit in a "small" Trekmate dry bag which means you can pack it wet and still chuck it in your bergen.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Forgot to say, if you look in the picture you can see that the loops on the sides are a bit long which leads to a gap at the base and made it a bit draughty.

Well I set it up in the dark and didn't realize that the loops are stitched across half way along which gives a closer point for pegging out.

Another well thought out point.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
No I didn't think of that.

Because the ground was damp I used the sheet from an IPK as a groundsheet on one side for my sleeping kit and left the earth exposed on the other for walking in and out.

I modded the pole slightly with a 2.5mm hole drilled through 3/4 of the way up the pole.

That meant I could slide a cut off skewer through the pole and hang my lantern from it.

For the picture I stuck another couple of candles in the ground.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Anyone else had a chance to try one of these out yet?

Not yet!

The pole and floor were delivered as promised by Up and Under.

Genuine Army Surplus .co.uk have now located the tarp, which should arrive on Monday. (See post No: 39).

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I ordered my tatonka 2TC from genuine army surplus (i think that's the one you meant with genuine military surplus - apologies if not) and my tarp took absolutely ages to arrive and when they had sent it out it was sent to a weird amalgamation of my payment address and work address and hence the courier had attempted delivery at some flats down from where I work - they were terrible at answering emails too but thoroughly nice people when I spoke to them on the phone. IIRC i think it was over 3 weeks to receive it,

Hope you receive it soon mate
Tom

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I've spoken with the company over the last two days and managed to discover the cause of the delay. I would have appreciated a call or email, or my email to them being responded to, despite this, I feel that the company were doing their best and as such I am happy to deal with them in the future.

These are friendly and well intentioned people, consequently, I have revised my earlier post to reflect this, and the fact that they were completely straight with me as to the reason for the delay.

My tarp should be delivered on Monday!

haw_thrn

Dec 29, 2008
ontario canada
www.jeffhelmes.com
say...there wouldnt happen to be someone here intertested in taking some measurements and maybe even a couple of pics so that us diy ers can reproduce one of these.? I guess this may be a tall order seeing as this is my second post and all and i havent made any friends here yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE