Tatonka or zebra billy cans?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Which do you prefer? I've been looking at both for a while now and still cant decide which to buy. Both are similar price and quality but in the Tatonkas favour, it does'nt seem to be as deep, which would make it easier to eat from, also the lid can be used as a frying pan. Any other differences I should be aware of? :)

And does anyone have any second hand for sale? either type. That way I might be able to afford both types and make my mind up finally....lol :lmao:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Coffee tins :).

Although I own neither, I have a set a similar shape to the tatonka and I'd say the shape is better. The greater area on the base, would seem to me to improve heat 'collection' from the fire, and it also means it is good for frying off ingredients before a stew. And I very much like stews.

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi Scottish Wolf

Well I own both both zebra and Tatonka Billy cans and they both have there good points.

You are quite right about the shape, the Tatonka is a better for cooking because it has a wider base and cooks more evenly. However I still use my Zebra more because the lid is better.

The Tatonka has a thin wire handle which you remove and replace by squeezing together so that it locates in a recess to lift the lid on and off or to use as a frying pan handle. If you lose it (which I have managed to do!) it makes life very difficult. At least with the Zebra you can get a stick and lift the lid on and off quite easily.

To sum up, for me it would be the Zebra every time.

Hope this helps

Nick

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Zebra every time for me... I have a 12 for me and a 16 if there's a few people coming along.

To be honest though, I hardly take the 12 anywhere as because I use the internal space while travelling, the 16 uses no more room. Also the 16 has a large surface area at the bottom so if i'm doing just one cup of coffee, it takes very little time.

If I had to get 1 billy, it would be a 16cm Zebra one.

Jon Mawer

Forager
May 2, 2006
Taunton, Somerset
My first proper camp fire billy can was a coffee pot from a well known chain pound store (PM me if you really can't guess the name!), with a holes drilled in it and a wire handle fitted, works a treat (wire coat hangers are the ideal type to use), and has a good lid. I then moved up to a 10cm zebra and found it near bomb proof, but a little small (only just takes a tin of beans). I now have a 12cm zebra, and it looks to be ideal, I just can't wait to use it properly (using it on the aga doesn't count!).

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Jon Mawer said:
My first proper camp fire billy can was a coffee pot from a well known chain pound store (PM me if you really can't guess the name!), with a holes drilled in it and a wire handle fitted, works a treat (wire coat hangers are the ideal type to use), and has a good lid. I then moved up to a 10cm zebra and found it near bomb proof, but a little small (only just takes a tin of beans). I now have a 12cm zebra, and it looks to be ideal, I just can't wait to use it properly (using it on the aga doesn't count!).

You have an Aga...:wow1: :notworthy :beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE