Tarps in the Mountains

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
george said:
Jason, I take it you mean something like this :

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/ponchotent.htm

George

No, mine is different to that. The poles go through the end of the basha, not across its length. Which makes the tunnel effect. Sorry for the rough picture, but it might explain it a little more. I will take a photo next week and post it up.
tarppic.jpg

Jason

Shadow Walker

Oct 15, 2005
Oxford
Simca said:
This is my favourite tarp configuration so far. It's protected from 3 sides, so not drafty, and has plenty of space inside.

tarp with two sticks

It’s OK if you’re prepared to carry around with you the sticks. On the side of a hill / mountain there may be a shortage of supports to erect the tarp. Again, as I have seen with similar methods on open hillsides, when the wind picks up the shelter acts like a sail, and away she blows. The method I employ may be drafty (if you don’t block the end with your Bergen) but the wind passes over the top or through and stays on the ground, well as long as it’s not blowing a force 10.

Jason

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Never trust my memory then :D.

I'm still concerned about this billowing effect. I suppose the "tunnel" would be pretty wind invisible, but perhaps a bit cold?

Simca

Nov 6, 2004
Hungary
www.survival.hu
Shadow Walker said:
It’s OK if you’re prepared to carry around with you the sticks. On the side of a hill / mountain there may be a shortage of supports to erect the tarp. Again, as I have seen with similar methods on open hillsides, when the wind picks up the shelter acts like a sail, and away she blows. The method I employ may be drafty (if you don’t block the end with your Bergen) but the wind passes over the top or through and stays on the ground, well as long as it’s not blowing a force 10.

Jason

Biddlesby said in the first post that you have your walking sticks, so that's not a problem. Well, when the wind changes, thats sure a problem, thanks for pointing out that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE