Tarp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The DD range of tarps are good value for money, the smallest at 3x3m might be a bit OTT for ground dwelling but they're popular with hamockers.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
The tarp I get most use out of is 2.5 x 2.5 metres. (Kathmandu trekking basha) This is big enough to set to the ground and still be able to sit up, which is great if the weather is awful. I also have a 2.8m x 1.8m hoochie which is the business but needs to be set with guylines unless you simply want a tunnel. Great in the trees but not so good in open country (I tarp a lot in the mountains). You can get tiny and ultralight tarps if that's your bag - try here: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page112.asp

I like the ultralight approach but it does imply that you are moving on regularly and so carry weight is more important than comfort. If it's comfort your after, DD do a 4m tarp that is enormous. (And not that expensive)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Ground dwelling for one you could probably get away with something smaller but I like a 3x3m tarp just for flexibility, it gives you the option to try a hammock out without buying a bigger tarp, you can rig it up to cook under for three or four at a stretch and it's big enough for two to sleep out under. I have the DD 3x3m tarp and it's not failed me yet.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Kathmandu trekking basha in 2.5m x 2.5m sil-nylon. Of course they don't exist anymore but you can still get them from Bison Bushcraft for £48 is what I paid. Probably too expensive but I am happy. A good size for one IMHO. Use with some plastic from a DIY or wickes or somewhere like that for a groundsheet. I use plastic sheet or bag from work. Buy some 2mm dyneema and mini lineloks from camcleats.co.uk as they are cheap and its good stuff. Titanium pegs from outdoors warehouse in Windermere and online.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
3x3 gets my vote. Personally I like the Tatonka poly tarp but the DD is very good value. You could get a cheap plastic one from ebay and evaluate what size is right for you, save spending loads then wishing you had a different size.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have a jack pyke poncho tarp but i only really use it for wild life watching but i guess its just big enough to sleep under too but i tend to go for a tent when thats my intent

clive.s

Aug 8, 2010
Hampshire
I made my own PU coated tarp back out in NZ, 2.8 x 1.3m, suited me nicely for bush or open pitches! Here it is on a nice frosty morning in the Kaimanawa.

And with an interior view...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE