Tarp

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, as everyone else is voting for the DD 3x3, I'll throw a bit more info into the mix.

My current preferred tarp for lowland use is a British Army Basha in DPM camo. It costs 20-30 quid, has plenty of space, and of course in most of Britain you won't see it when setup.

I also have used a German flecktarn poncho as a tarp, it's very light weight, but only covers 2m x 1m. But that is plenty if used with a bivvi bag to keep your head dry.

If you don't want to go the camo route, alpkit make various sizes of tarp, their 3.5 is about the same size as the army basha, but it is green and has a few more loops to allow you more variety in pitching.

If you want to go very light weight, then the RAB Siltarp 1 (available from many places, including Backpacking light. It's more expensive than all the others, but it's also a lot lighter.

These give you a small cross section of some of the tarps that are available. Ultimately each has their uses, and which is right for you will only be arrived at by trial and error. You pays your money, you makes your choice.

Happy Camping

Julia

johnboe522

Feb 20, 2012
lulworth
HI as new to this not really sure,till i get one and get out threr and use it. if its to big problem putting it then might not use it.

Les52,

Don't buy one PM me your address and I will send you a issue Dpm tarp, then you can play and see what your after.

Free of charge of course! Just to help you out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Les52,

Don't buy one PM me your address and I will send you a issue Dpm tarp, then you can play and see what your after.

Free of charge of course! Just to help you out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice one
Some of the initiaal responses on this thread were making me wonder why I was even reading BCUK. Come on we all started somewhere and some advice or help is really encouraging My personal advice is that if you are ground dwelling then the Army Basha is fine; I use it all the time. DD have some issues with quality control and that is rarely mentioned but often witnessed in the field. However a good Dd tarp is fine it just wont last as long as an army Basha. Hammock camping Well i guess thats something for the OP to consider in the future
The main thing is to get out and try it and thanks to the kindness of a BCUK member you have that chance
You cant knock that

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Les52

I spent 2 months living under an army Issue tarp last summer, on the beach in the woods and in the Scottish Highlands and it did me just fine. I normally set it up ridge line style but it just depends on what was lying around at the time and the weather conditions. Again its personal but I like to travel light and never bother to carry poles or pegs, as I said I just setup using whatever is lying around at the time.
The Issue tarp is probably too small for a hammock but you can comfortably get 3 people under a DD 3x3 on the ground. I’m no fan of DD stuff but I don’t think there is much between the army job and the DD weight or packed away size that is, but with all things being considered equal I would probably go for a 3x3.

Nice of Johnboe 552 to offer...:35: Bravo Dude.

If you do get your own army basa, strip off the stretcher handles and it will pack down a fair bit lighter, a lot easier and way smaller.

Ps you’re just going to have to get use to the drafts but that's life under a tarp, but some of the places you end up are just stunning Bro.

Loch Morar Bay

AYE 18/9/2014

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE